IHS stays green

I have just installed the Z-Axis and the THC on the Crossfire. I have tested the THC from Firecontrol and it seems to be working ok. I had an issue when setting my machine to home. The wire that connects the THC pushed the limit switch early. I went to move the wire and the screw that holds the wire down loosened. I had to take the THC apart to put the screw back on. In the process, I see a spring that appears to just hang in place. I can’t see anywhere it goes and Langmuir doesn’t publish any parts schematics online for it. The THC still passes the test, but when I start to actually run a cut it immediately errors out with an IHS fail. It says something about the green IHS should be off when torch is not in contact - which it is not in contact. From searching here, it appears that it could be related to the wire - only, the wire is back connected. Could it be the spring? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Can you raise the z axis up and the ihs light go off?

That spring should go into a hole in the upper part of the torch mount carriage. The bottom of it should rest on a bent up piece of the contact for the IHS switch.

The contacts from the top and bottom of the IHS switch should normally be touching and completing the IHS circuit. The IHS green light only comes on when that circuit is open, either from the switch contacts separating or one of the wires is broken/unhooked

2 Likes

I can raise it and it never goes off.

1 Like

So if I understand you correctly, this is the spring on a normally closed switch. Gotta get my microscope out and see if I can find that hole it goes into.

1 Like

Yes. That spring should hold the contacts closed until the torch is lifted.

Got it! It’s working now. Thank you guys for the help.

6 Likes

I’m glad to hear that you were able to get the issue resolved by installing the IHS preload spring in the correct location! I’m dropping a PDF that shows the disassembly/reassembly process of the Z-axis assembly and IHS contact switch system in this thread, just in case somebody with a similar issue needs it in the future.

IHS Contact Switch Components Swap Guide.pdf (7.1 MB)

3 Likes