Hypertherm 45xp W/ CPC Port Wiring?

Do the PM 45 XP “Machine” torch consumables fit the “Hand” torch? Currently, I’m just using the standard consumables from Hypertherm with my Hand torch on my CNC table.

NOTE: I installed the Hypertherm CPC port and did modify the hand torch pulg to be recognized as a machine torch by the unit.

Yes, the hand torch consumables and the machine torch consumables are interchangeable. The shield is the only difference…the hand torch shield is a drag shield, so if you use it with a .060" standoff expect that the torch height is way too high. The result will be excess edge angularity. The machine shield allows for the correct arc length (and arc voltage) when running at .060" off the surface. Jim Colt

2 Likes

That clears a lot up. Thank you Jim! Your shared knowledge is the reason I went with Hypertherm.

I just ordered the cpc port kit and machine torch. did you find good instillation instructions? did it come with instructions?

If you buy langmuirs cpc kit for the hypertherm it’s plug and play.

Bummer I talked with them about this yesterday for 30 minutes getting everything ready when my table ships in a couple of weeks the one thing she didn’t say about the CPC is that they sold it. I ordered mine from my praxair dealer I got a good price but I would have liked plug and play

Lakefront, Langmuir only sells the CPC cable that goes between the 45XP and the motion controller. They don’t sell the CPC kit for the XP45. That has to come from a Hypertherm dealer. I just added the THC kit to my Crossfire and replaced my old cutter with a new XP45. The only one I could find didn’t have the CPC port so I had to order it. Got mine from Bakers Gas, decent prices and very quick turn around and delivery.
Installing the CPC kit isn’t hard, just follow the instructions that come with the kit. Cable routing is important though so pay attention to the diagrams.

2 Likes

I tried to call Langmuir and get the cable for the 45xp. no answer. Ill look again I didn’t find on the website.

1 Like

The fine folks at Langmuir beat me to the punch. The cable above is the one I ordered. Like it says, plug and play. I see that you ordered the machine torch, that’s a GOOD thing. No need to mess with rewiring the hand held so it works with the CPC interface. It is literally plug and play. Be aware though, the machine torch does NOT come with any consumables. Here’s the list of stuff you need to get going:

Mechanized Consumables
Standard Cutting Consumables
Shield 220817
Retaining Cap 220854
Nozzle 220941
Electrode 220842
Swirl Ring 220857

The hand torch uses:
Standard Consumables
Standard Drag Cut
Shield 220818
Retaining Cap 220854
Nozzle 220941
Electrode 220842
Swirl Ring 220857

Make sure you put the business end of the torch together correctly. It’s in the manual under the machine torch section. Believe it or not, I had my swirl ring in upside down, trust me it will cause problems.

Also, the standard torch holder will not hold the machine torch. Either buy the one Langmuir has or make one. I used 1/4 and 5/15 aluminum plate. If you have access to a mill it’s an easy part to make. I should have bought the Langmuir one, it’s prettier than mine… Kind of like the red…

My table is now up and running as of today. Played around with it a bit, now it’s all about dialing in settings etc.

1 Like

hey mate i’m trying to do this right now! any ideas / help you can offer?

(additionally i don’t have the cpc port but will be buying one if it helps)

Ive done everything and hooked it all up and still wont fire?

Are you using a machine torch or a hand torch?

Hand torch but i got it going but having hells of issues with the cut quality…… my jasic 45 cuts better and cleaner then this hypertherm is right now

How did you solve your first issue with it not firing?

What kind of parameters are you running and not getting adequate cut quality?

Anyone have a close up image of the internal cpc port wiring. My machine came with cpc port. I am not getting power to any of my pins not sure if they’re might have been a mistake in wiring or I’m doing something wrong. I get no fire in my machine torch. Hand torch works fine.

Did you purchase the Hypertherm cpc port wire harness from Langmuir? You will need it so plasma cutter and control box on table are linked, or you will have to make your own wire harness to connect. The torch wont fire until you have wire from torch on/off on control box run to plasma cutter.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did purchase Langmuir cpc port harness and it’s all connected. Should I be getting voltage from cpc port pins if tested with multimeter. If so, I might have a plasma internal wiring problem. I guess that’s what I’m trying to figure out. While on fire control, I try manual firing and nothing. I can hear the relay click but no air or arc coming from torch.

Do you have torch on/off cable conected to torch on/off port of table controller.Make sure you have enough air pressure from air compressor to inlet of plasma cutter, at least 110 psi. Machine torch needs about 70-75 psi to fire. The Hypertherm powermax 45 xp plasma cutter auto sets air at torch.

Yes torch on/off cable connected from cpc to control box. Air pressure set to 115 -120 psi. Hand torch fires no problem. Will ground between control box and table cause it not to fire? Would that affect the torch?