Husky Air compressor Aftercooler

Yeah the OP added that at the exit of the cooler.

I see that nowā€¦thanks

Ok seriously. This should not be so complicated, but Iā€™m struggling to figure out what to buy for this. Mainly because I canā€™t figure out what to search for. Iā€™ve taken everything apart and measured everything, but I canā€™t find the right configuration.

My Compressor pump has 3/8 NPT female outlet which from the factory has a 3/4 threaded female double flare fitting. That side is easy, Just use a compression fitting to 3/8 male NPT.

But what about the tank entry point? Itā€™s plumbed for a 3/4 double flare (on 1/2 OD copper tubing). But itā€™s got the relief valves in it. Is there a 3/4 double flare adaptor, cause I canā€™t find oneā€¦

IR compressor? Based on the color and that fitting(looks just like mine) id say yes.

I just put an aftercooler and water separator on mine

Please let me know what fittings you used. Iā€™m going crazy. Lol

What size compressor
Looks like a 1/2in ID line going into the tank like mine.
I used 1/2in OD tubing on everything else with 1/2in flare fittings. The fitting going into the tank is actually a 5/8 flare for the 1/2 ID line. I got everything at lowes and used the original fitting to secure to the tank in your picture. Had to use 2 90deg elbows soldered for the line going into the tank.

60 gallon IR. SS4L5 is the model.

My tubing from pump to tank measures 1/2 OD. I was hoping to avoid going to the store and manually fitting everything together but I think thatā€™s whatā€™s going to have to happen.

1 Like

I think it may be this:
ā€¢ Valve Inlet Threads: 1/2" Female Inverted Flare (measures about 11/16" inside diameter)
ā€¢ Outlet Threads / Tank Threads: 1/2" Male NPT (measure about 3/4" outside diameter)
ā€¢ Relief Valve Port: 1/8" Female NPT (measures about 10/32" inside diameter)
ā€¢ Unloader Line Port: 1/8" Female NPT (fits 1/4" unloader line)
ā€¢ Total Length: 2-3/4"

check valve has a 1/2" Female NPT inverted flare inlet and a 1/2" Male NPT outlet that screws into your air tank. On the side of this valve there are two ports: one 1/8" Female NPT for a relief valve and a 1/8" Female inverted flare fitting for an unloader line**

You can always change it out with 1/2"mnpt into tank, and 1/2" fmnpt check valve with dual 1/4" npt ports

Thanks, that helps. Half inch inverted flare sounds right. Iā€™d prefer to not mess with the factory installed check valve though.

Still no easy search results for a fitting that would take the 1/2 inverted flare to 3/8 NPT. Iā€™m just going to have to go mix and match. I just hate it when I canā€™t find things online.

Did you try McMaster-Carr (first) or Graingerā€™s (second choice). You should find it there & theyā€™re shipping pretty fast.

Try this link
https://www.fastenal.com/product/pneumatics/pneumatic-fittings/tube-fittings/tube-connectors/603399;jsessionid=2gdaAica6kqtKGNEVM8jI5ar.38536438-9c19-3947-9017-bf77ad0514fd?categoryId=603399&level=4

Yep checked McMaster, and the fastenal link doesnā€™t have a male inverted flare to anything other than a female inverted flare.

I know a male inverted flare to hose barb fitting exists because I found one when working on my 4runner.

Iā€™m going to try flaring my own new line. That seems like the cleanest, fewest amount of fittings way to do all of this.

1 Like

I think that indicates the inverted flare is female on that fitting. I need a 1/2 male inverted flare to 3/8 NPT.

Sorry havenā€™t been on here a whole lot lately. @brownfox can you take a pic of your inlet to the tank? Yours may be different but I kept the OEM valve and just replaced the inlet tubing with my copper tubing, it was the same sized tubing/threading on both the compressor head and tank.

Well what a mess Iā€™ve caused here.

Pump outlet has the adaptor thatā€™s a female inverted flare. Outlet itself is 3/8 NPT I believe.

Tubing measures .50 OD, .38 ID. Threads on the nuts on the tubing measure .72.

Here are some pics of what Iā€™ve got.

image image image image

After obsessing over the proper inverted flare adaptor I finally found it last week at a place called Pirtek in a neighboring city.

1/2 SAE male inverted flare to 1/2 JIC.

The 1/2 JIC threaded right on to my 1/2 flare nut for my refrigeration tubing. Itā€™s all up and running now. Iā€™m preparing a brief tutorial and parts list for a new thread.

I realize my compressor placement is not ideal for airflow, but Iā€™m in a two car garage and this is the best I can do. I also have a 240v to 12vDC converter Iā€™m going to wire to the compressor so it kicks on a fan to cool the cooler. Although after cycling my compressor several times the cooler heated up. It may be helpful to have a fan keep blowing on it after the compressor shuts off just so you can start with a totally cool cooler sooner at the next cycle. Those are terrible sentences, sorry. Lol

Gigantic thanks to @sr71xjet for the guidance via PM.

1 Like

What did you use for the cooler? Tranny cooler?

Looks awesome! I think you have the same size cooler as me. I notice zip ties at the top. I found mine got hot enough to melt the plastic fasteners I tried.

I found this fan on amazon. 10ā€ muffin fan. AC Infinity AXIAL 2589, Muffinā€¦ https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07P6VNMV7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share It does the trick. Itā€™s kinda pricey at $100ish CAD. Iā€™m sure there are better priced options around. I run it continuous while Iā€™m cutting. I flick the switch when I enter the shop to cut. Turn it off when I leave. I canā€™t believe how much water I used to push through my plasma cutter!

1 Like

Check out this thread for a list of parts and basic info.

1 Like