How much are you paying for steel?

I know it’s going to be cheaper buying 4x8 sheets but those are also difficult to wrangle. I bought 2 sheets 2x3 feet for $23 each. 14g

How does this compare with yall prices around the country?

The last 14 ga I bought was $90 for a 4x8. I also bought 10 sheets.

I have been paying $142 for 4x10 cr 14 ga

Looks like I need to buy per sheet!

Buy in bulk if you can. Lots of places offer a discount.

1 Like

I’ve found that my metal yard charges more per sq in for drops (the leftovers from shearing jobs) than just buying a 4’x10’ sheet and having it cut. I have a XPro and can’t handle full sheets.

1 Like

I have bought several drops of ar400 1/2 and 3/8 for the price of a36 steel. Your supplier may be pulling you just telling you they have drops. Do they let you see what they have before you buy?

My last 4x8x14ga HR A36 was $95 not sure if this was with something else or not. For me its always cheaper the more you buy. Plus mine is always delivered, The place is not really set up for Pick up.

I just ordered 1 - 5"x6.7x20’ C-channel by its self was $151, few weeks ago they quoted me $100 each
with a qty of 39. So that shows you Order as much as you can at a time. Or at least is shows me that :grin:

2 Likes

The last 14 ga I bought was 10 pieces at 90. The same order I had 1 sheet of 22 ga it was 130.

Really? I have never had that happen, its always based on weight. I would have complained!

1 Like

I just pass it along. They base the price on weight there also. I have been told by the reps they don’t like small orders. The last time I had 1/4 priced at 5 sheets a single 3/16 was higher per sheet.

My metal yard has a ‘drop room’ with a hole in the wall for the rear end of the shear. Drops are in a rack by gauge.

2 Likes

Kinda odd they are higher. Our supplier tells us they can discount it and make more money. Otherwise it goes to the scrap yard.

1 Like

I thought the same thing. A friend works their shear and said buying a whole sheet is cheaper by the sq in.

I run a pro as well. My table isnt against a wall. I use 4 roller stands to hold the metal. I do a lot of 1/4 plate that way.

2 Likes

How much does a 1/4" full sheet weigh?

400 ish. I have a crane to set it on the table. 14 ga is about 100. I have seen some modify engines hoists. Someone had a harbor freight gantry hoist

1 Like

Thanks, I wondered how you heroes do it.

1 Like

A good old magnet just watch your feet!

4 Likes

I pay $75 for a 4 x 8’ sheet of 14g. If I want it sheared into (3) 48” x 32” pieces to fit on the pro, they charge $45. Also, any order over $300 they deliver for free.

1 Like