How much are you paying for steel?

I got a couple 4x8 sheets of 11ga HRS a week ago that ran $105/ea, and a sheet of 7ga that ran about $155.

I find it’s way cheaper to buy full sheets than partials, so I’d take a battery powered angle grinder and split the sheet when you go pick it up if it were me. I’m lucky in that I buy through work and they let me use the hand driven plasma torch to split them to make transporting by myself easier.

FYI
Lincoln, NE

2 Likes

That’s about what I just paid total $139 for 4x8 14g includes 3 cuts @ $6 ea, and $15 “set up fee”.

I think my next sheets will be full sheets and I’ll use my trailer then just slide out 3 feet, cut it with the grinder and haul it in the back. Almost paying 50% of a sheet just in cutting and set up fees!!

I priced out a 3x5, 3/16 thick steel planter box, ended up being $777 including cuts. (2 ten foot sheets)

2 Likes

I use this portable table/workbench to move full sheets. I store a few sheets on my horizontal plywood rack. I move the sheets out of the bed of the pickup, onto this table and then to the plywood rack or to the PRO table for cutting. With the adjustable height, I can get it just ‘so’ that the part on the table is flat on the slats. Since the table top is only 2’ x 4’, it is a little tipsy but it is manageable by one person.

I replaced their 3 inch casters with better casters.

But…the whole thing hinges on being able to store the full sheets horizontal. If you need to get a vertical sheet onto this table with casters: Forget about it!

Edit: And this approach maxes out at about 10 gauge! (Don’t ask!!!..perhaps I should say 12 gauge.)

1 Like

not nearly as much as a full sheet of 3/8 :wink: you need a crane for either one. I use a harbor freight engine crane and a big nut tacked to the sheet to get it off the truck and on to the table. Upgraded recently to a switchable magnet but haven’t tried it out on the big stuff yet. Honestly the 3/8ths sheets get cut in half hanging off the back of the truck because we don’t do much with 3/8ths and never a full sheet (or at least not yet).

2 Likes

This is much better approach than the HF adjustable roller out feed that I’m using. What casters did you switch to and keep the table height under the Pro slat height.

I added these 4 inch wheels to the mobile workbench and now the lowest height of the table is now 30.5 inches. This set of wheels is rated at 900 pounds.

https://a.co/d/fLFiYof

On my Crossfire PRO I added these casters and the slat height is right at about 32.5 inches.

https://a.co/d/hKgszDD

3 Likes

Those ratcheting casters are awesome.

2 Likes

Found 3 120"x13" 11ga scrap pieces at our local steel yard this afternoon. 50lbs is my limit for lifting. A little difficult to cut but I managed. $15 each.

4 Likes

Great deal! I had some of that years ago and used it for landscaping border.

2 Likes

Good score! I wish we had a scrap yard here that let us go and pick stuff. The only places I know of locally don’t let you take anything off the lot.

2 Likes

Just got my crossfire pro together today and went out to Columbus Pipe and Equipment as they seem to have the best prices in central Ohio. 1 piece of 4x8 sheet of 16 ga, HRS was $88.

that’s pretty good.

1 Like

I like your flag attachment! Those things are crazy strong for their size.

I’m in the “cut it down before it comes off the trailer” camp. I have a vertical rolling rack.

Since I rarely cut anything thicker than 16 gauge, it works. I can still lift 4" x 4" 16 gauge by hand. Usually the only things I need that are thicker than that are small, so I can cut the pieces down before moving and loading to the table.

2 Likes

A tilting panel cart is a good option. Slide it off the pickup bed and wheel it into the garage. It takes up a bit less space if you tilt the table. You could also build a little roller stand for storing the panels vertically and just use the tilting cart to move the sheets around.

O’SKOOL Panel Handler Cart and Shop Stand, Tilting Panel Carts with Rubber Swivel Casters

https://a.co/d/hVQcwMf

4 Likes

Any crossfire Pros for sale in Michigan or north Ohio?

you should start a new post, many more people will see it