How can I tell where the table is going to start cutting?

This is eluding me. I’ve tried a few different things but I cannot seem to set where the cutter starts cutting on the table. I set my torch where I want it to start and then i zero out the X & Y on my table but then the thing seems to have a mind of it’s own as to where it begins cutting. I keep running dry runs to see where it’s wanting to go and it keeps banging off the stops. Where is the reference from? Is it where the drawing is placed into fusion before generating the G code? It doesn’t seem to care where and when I zero out the X & Y axis in Mach 3. Is there a tutorial on this that would help me? Thanks

Every program will have a coordinate origin from which all other dimensions are referenced. It sounds like your origin may be far from where your actual part is.

During the toolpath creation process, you select the location of the coordinate origin.

1 Like

Are you measuring the drawing in 360? Some drawings I copy in measure out to over a hundred inches and have to be scaled down.

I was having problems with the things that I imported into Fusion 360. I wasn’t aware of the set up and specifying the origin in Fusion 360. I thought all of that was done setting the table up in mach3. Everything that I drew, I was making sure that I was at 0x + 0 y on the fusion grid when I was drawing it. But when you import things the grid gets all out of whack. Fingers crossed I hope I’ve got it figured out now. But everytime I think I have something down pat on this I get into a new difficult situation

2 Likes

The LS video on the CAM section of F360 are pretty well done, take a look if you haven’t, helped me a ton!

Me either, I’ve tried to get Langmaur to do a video on making a simple part in Fusion, to nesting, to Cam to file to Mach3 to the table. I can’t figure it out. I have a computer on it’s way to put it all on one. I haven’t seen a Video in 2-3 months. I know they are busy.

I’ve watched all the videos repeatedly. There’s a lot of information in there and I just have to keep rewatching them. It’s crazy how much stuff you can glean from them but then it’s tough to retain it if you’re not using it everyday.
Their videos are very thorough and I really like what they’re doing I appreciate it 100%. There’s almost everything in there that you need to know to run fusion and the plasma cutter

I could probably produce a video of the simplest way with no setup to draft something quick in Fusion and output it to Mach 3 and cut it. They go through the whole thing and they do it the right way but you can blast through that process faster and skip a bunch of things and it’ll still produce a part.

1 Like

I’m still rewatching every so often and find more little things each time. It helps too if I watch one or two others on YT, like Lars or even Fusion themselves and then go back to the LM videos.

When your in cam and select new set up is where you set your origin I usually start my origin in lower left corner and zero out my x and y in the corner where my laptopstand is mounted