High power drivers

I have for the most part babied this machine. Most cuts are only .040 step over at .060" depth.
I ran a no load front to back 3-4 times and do not feel it skipped but again that was a no load. Going to try and make a few more loaded cuts and see what happens

1 Like

Are you sure its homing correctly ? If its not and readjusting the zero. Itā€™s hard to believe that it is missing steps with that low MRR rate . 040. You may have a bad or out of adjustment limit switch.

1 Like

Does the DRO on the screen go to the same coordinate that was originally set on the first piece?

Well I would not argue with that with all the issues I have had on the plasma with those switches. I just ran 3 parts and zeroed each one (these are double sided machining). I ran one side a few days ago and I never re-zeroed as I was using a stop block. This part has a hole dead center in it and every now and then I noticed the hole was off centered so I reset zero and moved on. That is when I started the post because I thought that cut control was losing work zero I just never thought it could be missing steps.
I then ran the back side of 3 parts today and some of them are out over .040" or better on the x but lined up on the y. I also seem to think the X motor is really hot. Like the X motor has just been sitting for close to an hour and I can barely touch the sides

I am sorry I cant really answer your second question although I will pay attention better on the next round

1 Like

So I strapped a thermocouple on the side of this motor and I am pushing 110+Ā° and it has been sitting for well over an hour. The other motors are warm to the touch but not even close to this. Is this normal for X?

They do get warm. 110Ā° doesnā€™t seem out of specifications. Langmuir technical support can tell you if itā€™s a problem. I run high power drivers on all the motors. I have never had one fail or skip that was not self induced.
As for the drivers. They are less than $100 each. I know the alternatives sound lucrative and will probably work perfectly.
I know for fact that these will work without fail. Just my two cents.

1 Like

Now I donā€™t know this to be a fact. But, the X motor is rated for 4 - 4.5 amps.
Make sure your dip switches on the X driver is not set for a higher amp rating.
Also the X motor is 1/3 larger than the Y1 and Y2 motors.

1 Like

I was just comparing it to the other motors and a few larger ones I have on another machine.
Trust me when I say I appreciate your 2 cents. I have had issue after issue and any input is greatly welcomed. Unfortunately techs donā€™t seem to answer many questions. I have had a ticket in on this for days.
I understand the self induced but so far non of the issues I have had have been. I am definitely not the greatest machinist but I am 100% something is not correct and I have zeroed this out many many times.
By the looks of this thread others are in the same boat. I am thinking about trying the Drivers Alex suggested on the other thread as the Langmuir drivers do seem a bit expensive for a 4 amp. I have a 4hp router with Nema 34 motors and the drivers are just a bit more than what Langmuir is asking

1 Like

Hi John, Langmuir finally replied and feels I might have a bad controller. I was wondering if you are able to quickly check or ever seen on a G55 run if you finish a program does your machine automatically swap back to G54?
I have been doing a few G55 runs and programmed a path in cutcontrol, I zero everything out, run the program then when it finishes it automatically changes back to G54 even though I started in G55?? It even went back to the G54 work zeroā€™s after it finished one time. Just wondering if anyone else sees anything like this?
Do you know what stores the work zeroā€™s??

Iā€™ll check for you in the morning and report back. Not at the shop now. No problem :+1:

No worries thanks for the help!!!

My machine will switch back to G54 like youā€™re describing. It does this when probing in any coordinate other than G54 so be careful if you do that. I let Langmuir know a few months ago, hopefully itā€™ll be fixed in the next releaseā€¦

Mine does the same thing.

My machine will switch back to G54 like youā€™re describing. It does this when probing in any coordinate other than G54 so be careful if you do that. I let Langmuir know a few months ago, hopefully itā€™ll be fixed in the next releaseā€¦

Thanks guys. Mine also does it as soon as a program is ran in G55. After it went back to the 54 home position I gave up as it was confusing me.

Just an update for anyone interested, Jake finally emailed me and said
ā€œIt is normal for the X axis motor to get hot even while idling so it should be good as long as the performance hasnā€™t changed.ā€

1 Like

Itā€™s always a good idea to thoroughly test the machine after any upgrades to ensure everything is working as expected. If you encounter any issues or if you have specific goals in mind for the upgraded machine, feel free to share, and Iā€™ll do my best to assist or provide guidance.

1 Like