Hi! WA state. Dream shop project started!

Yes, after doing all this by myself… Definitely worth a few grunts!

2 Likes

Hi Levi,
Question. I have a refrigerated air dryer left over from my business days and thought I would build a cooler also but my compressor used 5/8 copper tube and I can’t find a radiator with tubes over 1/2" I’m thinking it’s not a good idea to build in a bottle neck point that might slow the air down. I could be wrong about that notion!
I was thinking about buying a 50 foot coil of 5/8 tubing and leaving it coiled and mount a fan on one side. It wouldn’t have fins like commercial radiators but the length might make up for that. What do you and others think about this idea? Would my air dryer by itself be adequate for plasma cutting?

I like the purity of our thoughts on no bottle necking… But…

Playing devils advocate leads me to think that unless you’re counting on always having 50+ minute flow, you’re going to be fine using an adapter from 5/8 to 1/2. They’ll be a slight velocity and pressure change going through the step-down… Most of us end up putting a 3/8 quick release on the end anyhow… You loose a little psi over length with higher drag coefficient… But most likely have psi to spare if you’re starting with 5/8" beast.

If it was me, I’d cost approach either option and make choice off that… Space savings of radiator may be important.

1 Like

My radiator has 24’ of 1/2" tube… I didn’t do the math, but reducing to 1/2" and going 24’ VS. No reduction, but double the length @ 5/8" should have some cancelation of bennifit.

you are right, a restriction in the discharge of a compressor will cause a higher discharge temperature, increase the load on the motor and shorten the life of your compressor.

i used half of an 3 ton A coil from and old residential HVAC system, i re-circuited it so theres (3) 3/8" circuits in parallel, headered on both ends with 7/8" ACR copper (3/4" to you plumbers) ran all the lines in 3/4" soft copper tube and used flare fittings… i get about 100°F temp drop. no additional fans just the air from the compressors fan/flywheel.

Well been busy on finishing house siding and paint before weather changed… It rained Finally, so back into shop this week to play!

Got the shop air and dryer system installed finally!

Cut line between compressor and tank… Put pre cooler on top… Auto fan controller kicks on when line temp hits 100f. Increases speed to 100% at 150f. Air drop from 200 to 100 through the radiator when running at 165psi.

Cooler takes another 70 off temp before going to the seperator and bead dryer. Last step is motor guard, then into tank.

Super happy with the results. Went a little overkill with 3/4" MaxLine to take air out to the rest of shop, but no pressure drop!

3 Likes

Nice set up, I used 3/4" maxi line as well. never overkill…

1 Like

Well been busy on finishing house siding and paint before weather changed… It rained Finally, so back into shop this week to play!

i had to paint in between the rain. the last couple weeks have been wet in central / eastern Washington.
got one coat of paint on and most of the trim painted in one saturday, had to wait a few weeks to get a break in the wind and rain to finish the trim on the peaks of the gable ends. this was the last daylight picture i took of the exterior.

just have a few more wires to pull then i can finish the insulation, frame in the opening between the 2 garages, install my Atlas 2 post lift and start moving equipment over…

2 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing! I forgot you’re in WA too… Where @?

I’m in Selah, just a little north of Crackima, aka Yakistan, aka Yakivegas

Here’s a quick walk through the shop this morning, since its now relatively clean (a project unto itself) :beers: :rofl:

2 Likes

You’re exactly the kind of guy that needs a couple of apprentices to pass on some of that knowledge.
Awesome shop tour!

Yup, I hear yuh, but can’t seem to find young people interested or with the attention span to get with the program. Most seem to chase the money and only want to do so behind a desk looking at a computer monitor. My two boys are all grown successful professionals living in the US (one,an MBA in Aerospace Systems and the other a PhD research scientist in Molecular Biology). So it’s pretty much this old fart in the Caribbean with his toys and a whole bunch of life experience doing his best. I’m semi retired but have a lot of support work going on in the Biomedical field and associated with Avante Health Soltions of Louisville, KY, so that keeps bread on the table and toys in the shop.

1 Like

I might be available for adoption if you need someone to teach… :rofl: :rofl:

Over here in the dry lands of Washington as well and love the shop @JA6 ! @Dirty_Bill if your willing to be a local advisor I have a couple questions and i’m pretty close to you and am having some issues getting my new to me table going and would love some pointers or another brain to rack ideas off of.

1 Like

Ya buddy! I’m in Spokane. Happy to help out, just say when.

1 Like

Im no expert on these tables but there are a few on this forum. But im glad to help if i can.

Guess I’ll update the thread since im here… Dream shop weng a little too good, outgrew it over summer.

Built my bus… Used the plasma table to cut pretty much everything… Matched hole rivets… I think I had 19,000 pierces on the project …

We hit the road for a whole month all across the US…

Came back and moved all the machines out of the shop to a new shop… Lol, I must have lifted a million lbs a few times over this last year.

I picked up some aero space contracts along the way and ran with it… Added a few more tools and machines…

My 5 ArcFlat tables are still awesome and get compliments from everyone.

My Langmuir mill might get here in December… Got a spot reserved for it over on the wall… Looking forward to seeing how friendly it is to run.

6 Likes

BOB (Bug out Bus)

Full off grid… 2000 watt solar, backup generator, Cold weather proof, has 2 Chevy Bolt EV battery packs… washer & dryer, RO water system, flush toilet… 18" sub woofer under couch, fold down recessed TV, gas stove & oven. Sleeps 8. 7mpg

5 Likes

Somewhere around 2000 hrs of work in a little over a year

4 Likes