Having Trouble with Torch Height

G0 Z1.016 (IHS Springback + Backlash)

G92 Z0.

G0 Z3.81 (Pierce Height)

M3

G4 P0.5

G0 Z1.6 (Cut Height)

These are the numbers in the gcode program written by the Firecontrol version 1.6 post processor. Upon start, the torch tip comes down to touch the metal, then rises much higher than 1.6mm so the gap between the metal and the torch is too big to allow the arc to touch the metal. What is wrong?

1 Like

Is the torch actually touching off on the material? You may need to lower the torch. The ihs may be tripping too soon .
Can you actually measure the height?
Work clamp on the material?

1 Like

Your spring back and backlash are way off it should be 0.02 and your torch height should be 0.06 you can just open the G-code in note pad and make those changes and save it then run it in fire control and measure the distance from torch to material. Just run a straight line cut and after it cuts a inch or so hit spacebar to pause the torch and take your measurement then adjust G-code to get it dialed in

1 Like

Also your Pierce height should be 0.15

Not sure why your settings are so far off

If you’re using fusion then you have to setup your tool so when you post your G-code it uses those stored settings. Same with sheetcam but I also check my G-code before running it through fire control

He’s using metric. Those numbers are millimeters.

3 Likes

That makes more sense then. Guess I should have asked that. That’s what I get for assuming.

1 Like

@cbaker Welcome to the forum!

Can you show a picture of how you have your torch clamped? As stated above, maybe you are out of -Z travel height if its clamped wrong.

Also, not sure what thickness steel you’re trying to cut, but for reference, on 16 gauge here’s what I use and have pretty good luck with:

Cut Height: 0.055" or 1.4mm
Springback 0.00(F360 adds so 0 works for me)
Pierce Height 0.08" or 2mm

Others recommend a higher pierce height than I use, so you might start with say 2.2mm. Also on my numbers, you could probably go a little lower on the cut height if mine don’t work for you.

Seems everyone’s cutting sweet spots are a bit different.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Chris.

Pierce Height would probably work at 2 mm but it might need the added height of 3.8 mm (2.5 times the cut height), as he has set.

Springback and Fusion 360: Yes, it adds the 0.02 inches but it adds that even if you enter 0.0 during post processing. You need to enter a negative number in post processing to get it to subtract from that 0.02 inches. If my calculations are correct 0.02 inches = 0.5 mm. So to clear out the added amount you can go as much as -0.5 in the springback to cancel what Fusion 360 is trying to add.

Others have heard me say this over and over: the system may just be setting you up incorrectly with the numbers you are giving so you need to adjust your numbers so the actual cut height is where you need it to be.

Here is Phillip’s test g-code file. Run it. It will not be triggering your torch to fire. This g-code will be cycling the IHS and move the torch to cut height and then stop. You can then measure the distance between the torch and the metal. Adjust your numbers accordingly so that you are at the desired 1.6mm cut height.
cut height test.tap (224 Bytes)

1 Like