Harbor Freight air dryer price drop to $299

I placed my order on May 10. In the email it said that " Due to extraordinary demand, orders may be delayed by 1–2 weeks.". I’m figuring about 2 weeks due to this covid-19😷 going on.

Yes, very important to keep it under 150psi. The bad reviews on this thing leaking are primarily because people run unregulated air from their tank through it or the drain gets clogged. My drain has clogged a few times in the last year but it’s easy to clean and I keep it at 120psi or less just to be safe. For the money, it’s a fantastic dryer.

1 Like

I pickup up a HF Industrial Trap/150psi Regulator yesterday, on sale $35, to run before the refrigerated dryer, then a cheap 3/8 trap + disicant dryer combo, for $59 not on sale, into a 3/8 regulator before the RW45.
Hopefully if I get the dryer, that configuration might keep things pretty dry… ideas?

1 Like

Yeah I’m pulling the trigger later tonight.

Looking at @num1husker’s post I was thinking about following that. But I worry about having too many filters and hurting my volume.

I’m thinking perhaps the following:

Tank - Motorguard M60 - Regulator - Water/Oil Separator - Dryer - Motorguard M26 - Plasma

I don’t want to have to replace the M60 filter all the time though, so maybe a water oil separator before it?

2 Likes

I’m running tank → regulator / filter (110 psi) → motorgard M60 → some lines → 1/4" reg / filter (90 psi) → Motorgard M30 → plasma

2 Likes

Nice! Should do the trick…
Probably order tonight, they didn’t have one in store yesterday…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Price has gone back up at HF online 399…
But… if you use the LINK AT THE TOP OF THIS THREAD, and purchase as a guest, it still gives the discount… cool link @brownfox!

I saw that earlier. I had to come back to the link to see the price again. Weird.

Makes me wonder how hard Harbor Freight is tracking my online activity…

1 Like

I installed one and can’t wait to try it out.

5 Likes

That’s a really nice setup, I like the vertical mounting of the dryer.
If noise is a concern in some instances depending on your geographical location if you move the intake of your compressor outside it will help reduce the noise level. Some places I’ve done this to I had to move it back and forth depending on the season.
Looks like a very clean shop, I would love to see the rest of it.

I wouldn’t recommend putting a Motorguard before the refrigerated dryer. That paper type filter will soak up water and there’s no automatic drain or way for it to dry out. It’ll work but it really just wastes the filter life or requires you to take the filter out and let it dry. If it’s the last device before your plasma, all it will catch is tiny, dry particulates and aerosols and the filter will last a long, long time.

A 5 or 10 micron particulate filter with an auto drain is a better choice and you can get a regulator/filter combo to cover both needs.

I ordered one yesterday afternoon. Going to have compressor > about 8 feet of pipe > regulator/filter > drier > then hose to motor guard 30 and plasma. My compressor is a 19 yo oil less craftsman 30 gallon built my devilbiss.

Bought mine tonight. Based on feedback Im only going to run the one motorguard right before the plasma.

2 Likes

Just pulled the trigger on the dryer. After tax and shipping it was $345. Just finished up my aftercooler on my 80gal compressor. I was surprised how much it cooled the air before going into the tank, between that and living in a desert the Dryer shouldn’t be needing to remove much moisture but I wanted to be sure I’m getting super dry air.

2 Likes

Mine came the other day. Box looked like it was dragged behind the truck for 2 miles but everything inside looked good. Threads on the out let look a little buggered, may have to clean them up, we’ll see.

The directions are strange though, it doesn’t seem to clearly indicate when they want you to give the unit air pressure. Before, or after you turn the unit on, or does it even matter?

Their bypass instructions are also weird, why have three shutoff valves at the unit when you can just have one further before the unit? Mine will shutoff right at the T that separates my ceiling run for the reel from the plasma run.

I’m already skeptical of their instructions since they show you running it right off the air tank, when the unit requires lower input pressure than any commercial air compressor has off the tank.

If the instructions are like most HF gadgets, you should be skeptical. I have their concrete mixer - you’d think it would be pretty simple. I almost got on a plane to China and track down and waterboard the dude that wrote them. I invented several new cuss words that day.

4 Likes

Funny… my dryer showed up Friday, and 2 weeks ago I bought a HF mixer…lol
Havent put it together yet, but was just going to look at the pics and figure it out for myself. :joy:

I hooked mine up this morning and I’ve been running it all day. Works great, and after a few minutes the outlet line get really chilly. I just have the quick connects on temporary till I find a home for it to stay, then I’ll plumb it in. I put air pressure to the unit first then turn it on. Its almost dead quiet and faintly makes a noise when the fan cycles.

1 Like

Just received mine. Cosmetic damage from shipping fedex… bummer but I’m guessing its not worth the trouble to make a claim.

does this thing make extra heat in the workshop? and does it just run constantly?