Grounding interference solved!.....I wish

The whole plasma theory comes from Langmuir the scientist . Common lightning is DC voltage at least till Mr Tesla came up with AC theory that pissed off Thomas Edison.

1 more week to go on that Milling machine. Please send pictures of you dragging it through your kitchen. Please…

Oooooh! … I intend to! :rofl:

1 Like

Removed my original thoughts for further insulation. The flanged boomerang already addresses what I thought was a short risk… :flushed:

1 Like

Please make sure it does not touch. Some guys use a block of plastic or wood. This is very important. Those washers should be stepped to fit in the large holes in the control box. They sort of snap in. Then the screws are isolated.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

I’m pretty sure your ‘solution’ won’t work. The insulation will be torn away by the threads. I would use a Nylon Flange washer where the bushing of the flange fits inside the hole of the Control Box - if I had a FireControl system.

A better solution is to not have the electronics grounded in the first place, but too late for that one…

3 Likes

They should have provided the flanged plastic washers in the bag with the plastic isolation pad. It looks like a boomerang.

You can easily test with meter to see if there is any continuity from the enclosure to the table after you do whichever installation.

1 Like

Walk of shame for me… :flushed:

I didn’t see that the boomerang had the flanged boomerang… on first look, it appeared flat - so I started over-engineering. Thanks Langmuir :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No need for that!!! Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

I will offer one tweak I am performing - adding a ferrite core to the USB cable - surely that’s suggested elsewhere - compensating for my misdirection :nerd_face:

3 Likes

That is widely agreed upon and I doubt you will find any dissenters. Good to remind people.

1 Like

I can’t pass up a challenge! :nerd_face: :rofl:

I recommend a USB cable with built in Ferrites at both ends, with gold plated connectors. The built in ferrites wrap the USB twisted pairs around the ferrite donut, rather than the whole insulated cable.

6 Likes

@Atreides at one-point Langmuir recommended the following to combat EMI.

FireControl Freezing During Cutting & How to Fix it! - CrossFire ® PRO - Langmuir Systems Forum

4 Likes

Well played!!!

2 Likes

Just remember!!! No limit switches :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Oh John! We were having such a civil conversation here. And you had to go and do that!!! :rofl:

I hate those things… Just kidding anyway.

2 Likes

Agreed…I literally only use them to home the machine at the end of the day. They do not bother me now that I have turned off the soft limits.

1 Like

yeah see this is the thing… most people will never have the problem… but i like to get ahead of potential problems just in case i do. because if i was on a bigger budget then i’d have gotten a different system and just called tech support to deal with it. lol. but there’s something to be said for learning whats behind the scenes first and then moving up to better plug and play stuff later on if things go well.