Fusion 360 plasma post mods - added tool settings, small circle speed and plunge rate support

Interesting. I like “semantic” holes so that I can specify clearance for a given bolt etc, so I do not often use extruded holes (even if they can be more easily made parametric) so this is an interesting discovery. However, I believe the postprocessor should just work correctly without requiring the user to do special design considerations.

I’m sorry I’m lost, where can I find the dump.cps ?

Agree, it shouldn’t matter but apparently there’s a difference. Didn’t know about the auto-clearance for holes, I should start using it. My Fusion learning has been more sketch centric.

dump.cps is in the Fusion library, very handy to see all the callbacks.

Ohhhhhh that is useful! I had no idea there was such thing so I implemented a trace functionality on my debug postprocessor that does something very similar.

Regarding holes, I typically just place a point in the sketch and later use the hole function, that allows the following:

1 Like

yeah, dumper is super handy. I saw how you dimensioned sketch points for a later hole. I’ll start using that technique as well.

2 Likes

@holla2040 here is what I do if I want to change a setting, say feed rate, in a tool and have it appear in Cut Operation.

Right click on the cut operation and select Edit Tool. This will bring up the tool that is currently copied to the Documents associated with the file:

Once you hit accept you’ll see this dialog:

If you don’t see that dialog it’s because in the Cut Operation dialog your feed rates have been set to Custom. Once you change it back to default, it will pick up the new values stored in the tool.
(values are set to custom)
(once I set it back to Default preset, it picked up the value changes made in the tool)

The mechanism to “force” changes made in the tool has always been there. You just need to a) edit the tool associated with the file, and b) make sure you don’t have your feed rates set to “custom” in order to see the changes. The default presets set, in your case feed rate, will not override what you have set as custom, unless you tell it you want the defaults.

Hope that helps.

(Oh, and not that it matters, but I store all my tools in the cloud)

2 Likes

Any chance of adding this park feature?

2 Likes

Requires limit switches.

1 Like

Do you need soft limits ON?

1 Like

moving to a park position requires the machine to know where it is in machine coordinates. Without limit switches, the machine never knows, so you can’t tell it move to a specific park position because it doesn’t where that position is either. In the CNC world, limit switches zero the G53 machine coordinate system. When you hit the 'Zero All Axis" in FireControl, you’re setting a work offset in G54. LS shields the user from knowing anything about work offsets. All FireControl users just say “this is my zero” and hit cut and it works.

1 Like

I didn’t use machine co-ordinates, I used absolutes from the Work origin. (This does require knowing / figuring out where to park.) Not as effective as telling the machine “Go Home”, but should provide the ability to jog away from the cut to reduce post flow splashing.

2 Likes

It would be nice if FireControl gave a feature that you clicked on the visualizer screen to mark the “Park” spot before starting the cut: similar to “Zero All Axes.”

…but that is a different discussion.

1 Like

That would work if you mark the park spot every time you run FC. These are the kind of features you get on a more expensive machine (limit switches, homing, park position, work offsets, etc).

1 Like

Understand, I asked LS to delete the “Job Done” dialog. Every time I’m finished with a cut, I just want to hit an arrow key to move during post flow.

5 Likes

I am pretty sure if you hit any key including a arrow key it will clear that. You should be able to double tap and move. Not the best but.

2 Likes

I’ll try that, normally dialog boxes require enter. Thanks.

this does work, thanks Phillip

3 Likes

The Crossfire pro has (an option for) limit switches. I bought it last year

I know, I bought them the instant they were available.

so maybe I did not understand correctly but with the limit switch option, G52 vs G54 vs G92 equivalent. It seems to me that with limit switches (within the accuracy range those can achieve) @ChelanJim’s request should be reasonable

1 Like

If I understand G92, it should be simple enough to set G92 to X0/Y0 at the end of the cut. Then move / park commands would be relative to the position the torch was at when G92 is called. (My use would be start / end your last cut at the farthest point from origin. Then move Y1 to move 1" away from the cut end.)

This shouldn’t require limit switches as it’s still based upon work offset / origin.

I’ll give it a try later and see how it works.

2 Likes