Fusion 360. Image to DXF

Is it possible to upload an image file into fusion 360 and then convert it to a DXF?
A customer wants a metal sign for his company logo and I am having issues turning it into a DXF or editing it on fusion 360.
It is a complex logo that will need some editing before cut.
Has anyone ever attempted this?
Thanks

As far as I know Fusion 360 doesn’t have any native traced a bitmap ability.

I like to use.

To perform that task. And then I’ll import the DXF or SVG I created out of that image. (I prefer image to SVG)

It really depends on what type of image it is if it doesn’t have really high contrast with a limited amount of colors your best next option is to use the canvas tool in Fusion 360 and hand draw the design over top of it.

Here’s a video with a simple image using the browser-based converter I linked above

Here’s another one that’s way more complicated but there’s no narration in this video and I should have clipped it off at 38 minutes

There is also a second video to this one where it shows taking that and making it a multi-layered sign.

3 Likes

@SinkingCreekFab If you post the image I could use it as an example and run through a video on how to accomplish that task.

2 Likes

I can also make a video on how I do the same thing with Inkscape if you post the image. When you talk about complex logos you might get into multi layers but i can break it apart in fusion after getting the SVG file created. You want a good flat picture without a lot of background lines if possible. I might not have time to do my video until tomorrow afternoon but can be used for others in future.

2 Likes

Your video gives me more insight on how to look at the project in a “top down” approach. That helps me to see the progression toward components. Nicely done!

Edit: @TinWhisperer just watched all of those videos. I have multiple emotions right now spanning from intrigued, impressed and overwhelmed. :+1: :star_struck:

Would it be normal for me to feel like the character in “Galaxy Quest” (‘Guy’), after being re-assembled after flying through the transporter for the first time? He just sat in the corner crying. :woozy_face: :disappointed_relieved:

That was simply amazing. Thank you for doing that. :medal_military:

3 Likes

Galaxy quest with such a good movie. There is several good Sci-Fi comedy movies that came out of that era.

I wish I would have started streaming to YouTube at the very beginning and there would have been 120 twitch stream videos available on YouTube by now. I do have them all saved in my hard drive.

I’m happy you’re getting some benefit from these videos. I’ve had a more than load it up schedule the last few months but I’m hoping to start doing some more regular streaming soon. I have my full-time plus job plus I do a full day of school on Saturday and night classes Monday and Wednesday and then there’s a couple breakout classes that happen randomly on Tuesdays and Thursdays every couple week plus homework. By the end of November I hope to be done and have written the two exams I’ve been studying for. Then in the spring I have another three courses I want to do that will complete another round of training then hopefully I’ll just be able to concentrate on work and family for a little while. I overdid my scheduling for this fall good thing I sleep half as much as most people.

3 Likes

So you are saying you need advice/suggestions on filling your 1 AM to 2 AM time slot on Sundays! :rofl:

Always glad when I hear you make time for your family. And always thankful for the time & effort you give toward our issues here on this forum. :clap:

3 Likes