Fusion 360 2020 for absolute newbies, Tips and tricks are welcome

Now for setting this “Home Point”, can you elaborate more on this so I don’t have to say BTDT? I see the option for you to select a point of where to start/ente, I could put a point there. But I’m also able to put multiple points so what’s the point (lot of points)? I like to do the dry run almost every time before cutting to make sure everything is looking correct. Maybe I’ll stick to that habit.

Anthony

I think ‘home point’ is also referred to as the origin, which is set in the ‘setup’, not the individual cut profile. It’s different from the cut entry point. It’s the x,y zero point. If you have multiple cuts on same part, but broken up into different g-code, make sure the origin is set the same in each one, otherwise the machine will start from a different point. It’s usually not a problem if you only have one setup - they all share the same origin.

1 Like

Got it, I recall in the set up where you have a choice to locate the tri-colored arrows on a corner or leave it in the center like it is upon setting up a part. Tell me on the cut entry point, why can you put more than one point on there if you only really need to specify one?

Anthony

1 Like

With plasma cutting its easy to do with a personal license. Just use the same tool for it all but use multiple profiles and set the ipm different for every profile then it generates the code all together and there is no cutting two separate gcode files.
Setting a home and doing it that way can be done but not necessary.

1 Like

Yes as this day has progressed I have now graduated past that issue I was suffering from earlier. I now can make multiple profiles with varying feed rates and get no error message because I’m using the same tool now. Just one of those things I have to learn as I dive into this new world. Thanks for all the help and thanks to @notmeofficer for starting this thread. I have learned a lot from here and can’t wait to encounter another issue so I can come back here to learn how to overcome it. :beers:

1 Like

This thread is gold! @notmeofficer thanks for making it and thanks to everyone else for posting helpful tips as well! I am waiting for my table and trying to learn fusion 360 personal use as well. I have a very, very noob question to add lol.
Being that fusion 360 hobbyist/personal use version only allows 10 editable files, how do you bypass that? rather, how can I save my designs for later use or adjustment beyond 10 documents?
I followed the bottle cap opener tutorial from langmuirs website and once I “finished sketch” and “saved” and renamed my “Sketch”, I found that I used 1 of the 10 editable files…How do you make numerous designs and still use this program without buying it? or am I stuck paying for it?

*****--------------------
It seems I figured it out, I have to change the file to “Read only” instead of having it on “Editable”, by doing this it removes the quantity of “Editable files”. Figured I would update my post incase anyone has questions or would like to add to this. :grin:

2 Likes

You can also just save the dxf onto your desktop and open them from there.

1 Like

good to know, thanks!

OK, Sorry to be the newbie asking another “Help Me” question. I’ve been searching the forum and internet and trying options I’ve been seeing. I have imported a .dxf file of a template with it’s own “blank areas” and a Text (SVG) from Inkscape inserted into the middle of the .dxf “blank” space in the middle making what seemed to be a fully connected Sketch. I did make sure that all pieces were fixed. When I select all, it seem that sketch mode shows what I want to cut out of .06 mile steel sheet. However, when I try to go into solid mode and extrude at .06, everything, not just the areas I want extrude. Maybe it’s the view I’m in or maybe I missed a step to “Cut/Trim” out the areas. I need help moving forward from this sketch to a “Body” that I can then move onto CAM. This is the step I’m stuck with. I might have more questions going forward. Much help is appreciated.

I am definitely not a wiz at Fusion, but maybe you could upload your Fusion f3d file so folks can take a look. You will have to change the file extension to one that is accepted by the site.

Save that sketch as a dxf by right clicking the sketch in the drop down menu on the left hand side.
Open another blank sketch and click on inset tab then insert the dxf that you just saved and it will work much better.

Unfortunately, I’m getting rejected for being an absolute newbie…
“Sorry, new users can not upload attachments.” I do have the .dxf file, but can’t upload at this time

Can’t remember but there’s a small limit of posts needed before you do uploads if i recall. Maybe just replying to mine will put you over that magic limit. And welcome!

Good group of folks. Lot of support.

One Fusion tip - add the check sketch add-on for it. Finds open loops and has saved me from pulling my hair out more than once. That might be part of your issue.

1 Like

Thanks bobdobqb!!! I had searched every line to make sure they were all connected. After adding the add-in you suggested, I found to stray lines of .015" sticking out from another sketch line that didn’t even connect to anything. After deleting those, I was able to extrude everything to my .06" desired sheet metal thickness and voila the solid model looks correct. Now onto CAM. This will be a learning moment, but won’t bother anyone until I can’t figure it out on my own. Thank you all so much!

2 Likes

Whaddaya know!!! I think I’ll give myself a :star: for that :rofl:

Glad it helped you out. Look forward to seeing it cut out. :+1:

1 Like

my arms are to short to pat myself on the back…never thought of a little board to put sticky stars on…

1 Like

Hey mine looks exactly like that @toolboy But mine says stuff like “Doesn’t set himself on fire”, “Did not bleed today” and “Put his S@*t away” :rofl:

1 Like

burn hands!!!
touch light switches in house with dirty hands…I loose points on that one

1 Like

I’m burning days and focused on design work until my Crossfire w/ Razorweld 45A gets delivered before I can start the real fun. So I downloaded this .dxf of a gear style clock face and the parts that should be cutouts seem to be the actual body. When I extrude, the parts that should be cut away are extruded and the body that should be the piece I want is not there or even selectable. Seems the whole .dxf is inversed or some other term that maybe more known to the community. Is there a simple method to switch the drawing so that the “real” parts become the actual body?

are you hovering over the face you want to extrude until it changes color, then left clicking it?
then right click/ press pull