Fully Assembled MR1 in Canada šŸ

har har the Canada jokes are coming out already :rofl:

Thatā€™s great to hear. Iā€™ll find out soon enough!

The fully assembled units ship with brackets attached to the legs for a forklift. We just got our rental and the machine will be arriving very soon.

1 Like

Actually, I did hesitate on this. It might be considered offensive and I definitely do not mean it to be. I will remove it if you think itā€™s inappropriate.

1 Like

Hey, we all love our Canadian forum people. Hell, we like Toolboy and Tinwhisperā€¦ Donā€™t we?

3 Likes

Well, when TWā€™s not swiping manuals and TB is sharing his whiskey, yeahā€¦ otherwiseā€¦

3 Likes

Get the ones that look like these but have a lever vs. the spocket wheel for adjustment like these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GJH7TV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
much easier to use by far and I know I also have a set like yours.

2 Likes

@TomWS no worries at all, I have a sense of humor so itā€™s all good - thanks for being considerate though :slightly_smiling_face:

I made a Youtube Shorts video to capture a bit of the delivery - you can watch it here: https://youtube.com/shorts/TElg6eLJUuE?feature=share

1 Like

Iā€™ll also post some notable pictures here with notes. @langmuir-daniel @langmuir-jake

• The levelling caster assemblies worked but werenā€™t perfect, especially because there was an incline in the area of my garage where I was putting the machine, so a lot of the weight/load started off on a couple of casters. I definitely saw the sheet metal legs bouncing around a bit. That being said, they worked to get me into position and Iā€™ve now lowered it to rest onto the rubber feet. The important part is that it allowed me to roll into the spot I wanted, as my residential garage didnā€™t allow me to use the forklift to put it into the exact position without crashing the forklift into the wall/ceiling

• The lift gate service was sketchy as hell. The MR1 barely fit onto the lift. For the amount that we paid for shipping, I would have expected a better delivery truck, not just some random furniture moving style truck

• One of the handles fell off during transit and one of the doors seems bent or something

• The machine comes with some plasma cut cross bracing around the legs and brackets for the fork lift forks. Itā€™s really silly that the cross bracing covers the fork lift bracket holes, because ideally we would have left the cross bracing on until it was fully moved into position and then taken them off, but you have to remove them on the front and back in order to get the forks in

• The fork holes on the bracket are really tight/small. Thereā€™s a lot of rubbing when the forks go in if youā€™re not perfectly aligned.

• The brackets come with 2x4s in case you need to forklift it up in the other direction. These 2x4s are super short though and only overhang out of the brackets by an inch on each side

• I wish that the machine came with some kind of bar or tubing near the bottom so that we could jack the machine up easier in the future with a simple low profile jack

• There are ratchet straps that are meant to tie the machine down to the pallet (not shown in pictures) - but they were ripped when we opened the box. I presume these are meant to be tied around the plasma cut fork brackets, but these brackets are super sharp, straight off the plasma and not deburred, so not surprising that they cut/ripped the nylon strapping during transit.

• Langmuir really, really needs to provide some kind of documentation on all of this stuff. I had to ask them lots of questions about the crate dimensions, height, fork brackets, etc. to get an idea of how this thing would be moved. Weā€™re a small business run in a residential garage so we donā€™t have the luxury of space and/or heavy moving equipment, so having some documentation on what we expect and how to move things would have saved us some anxiety. I can imagine for less prepared individuals this would have been a gong show.

Overall a decent experience, but clearly some things that can be improved. Iā€™m now looking forward to unboxing all the bits and slowly setting up the machine :muscle:

5 Likes

Huh, this is the first time Iā€™ve seen someone bolt the leveling casters directly into the stock legs. Does it feel sturdy?

1 Like

It was good enough to wheel around my shop a small distance, so it did the job. I wouldnā€™t say that itā€™s sturdy enough to roll overtop of things or on rougher terrain - a limitation that I think is just because of the sheet metal legs.

Overall though, for what I needed, they worked great.

If I were to do it again though, I would have bought the slightly larger version with larger wheels, load capacity, and a ratcheting levelling mechanism.

Iā€™m just glad I got it off the pallet, in place and in our tiny shop :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I ended up keeping all the cross bracing and the rear forklift bracket on the machine. Figure the extra support wonā€™t hurt. I only removed the front forklift bracket as I might try to find a small rolling cabinet or something I can sneak underneath.

In the mean time Iā€™ve unpacked everything and organized the tools. There are several mods Iā€™m planning to do before actually running the machineā€¦specifically:

• Y-axis way covers so chips donā€™t build up all over the lead screws. It looks like the X axis is fairly well protected so I might not bother with these, as way covers can be expensive

• Laser cut out acrylic windows for the inside of the doors to prevent chips and coolant from splashing inside the doors

• An articulating mount for the touchscreen - the stock arm sticks out stupidly and I donā€™t have room in our tiny shop for it

• A DIY fog buster system to avoid flood coolant

2 Likes

Just thought I would upload these pics too.

This shows the forklift bracket in detail and the extra center drain that is pre installed.

Do you find that the feet can rock at all when extended? I bought a ratchet lever set and returned them because when raised there was no locknut and the feet could move a little bit inside the slop of the threads. Maybe higher quality ones are better there?

I also planned to make similar mounting bolts to the ones that you made, and then add some steel bracing on the sides and back to stiffen up the legs. Temporary ones could be installed in front during the move and put away when done to allow access under the machine.

Iā€™d still like to do the upgrade if I can find the right casters.

It seems pretty sturdy right now to be honest but I have yet to cut any chips and see if itā€™s causing problems.

If I were to do it again, and if I had the ability/skills to weld, I would actually weld a steel threaded block instead of screwing it on. It would make that connection a lot more sturdy when rolling on the floor.

A fellow on YouTube (Matt Verley) has a solution for his monitor mount using plasma cut brackets and an Amazon purchased monitor arm. He has the dxf files on the forum. https://youtu.be/zQbZAsfbS4Q?si=dN2UBB8gBoU4E-Ts

This is for his Crossfire XR plasma table, but may give you ideas.

2 Likes

I ended up just buying an off the shelf articulating arm for the touchscreen and mounting it to the enclosure. Worked out great.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0722YHHX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

And you can open the garage door, rotate the screen 180 degrees, stream some movies on it, and sit in your car, pretending youā€™re at the Drive In! :rofl:

4 Likes

Haha while cutting stuff on my plasma cutter and making :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Man, that is sooo cool!

1 Like