Firecontrol requiring reset for every cut

Hi,
I recently installed the latest version of fire control on the Mac that runs my table, after installation the plasma works fine for the first cut but then fails on the second, fire control gives me the ability to restart from that place and it works fine for that cut and fails on the next. Is there a bug in the new fire control or what else could be causing this. It was working fine before the software upgrade.
I am using a 45XP cutter with machine torch and am aware of the need to added additional delays for the pierce.
Could there be compatibility issues between certain firmware and the newest firecontrol? I don’t have a PC close by so did not upgrade firmware at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

What is your current pierce delay? I have the 45XP and keep needing to increase my delay. I am now up to 0.70 seconds for most cutting but even then, I get the message “torch movement sensed before any voltage to torch.” Are you getting any error at either FireControl or the Cutter?

You didn’t change your air recently and it is dropping just a bit below the amount the cutter needs? If you are not getting an error anywhere, I would suggest increasing your sampling with the THC. This will give more time for the cutter to throw a code if there is something up with the cutter. I recently looked this up and the Hypertherm is safe to have 125 psi to the back of the machine. It can regulate from there. It also noted that it would be harmful to exceed 135 psi FWIW.

And the next issue that seems to be going around is more than a few, including myself, are having to recalibrate what settings we pick for cut height and springback settings. Have you noticed that the torch seems to be a bit higher off the metal than what you remember? You might interrupt a cut and do the feeler gauge check. Perhaps THC is seeking a higher voltage and then saying it is not possible and stops the cut. Also, confirm the IHS is actually touching down to the metal for the initial torch height z=0 setting.

Really good ideas, thank you. I tried bumping it up from .5 to .7 and 1 without any improvement, what’s odd is that it was working perfectly fine before the software update. I am now wondering if after the update something got changed settings wise and I should go back and redo all the calibration stuff. My air should be fine, its the same as its always been, 110psi regulated right after a final filter which is a motor guard coming off a very large compressor, ill also double check and watch to make sure it doesn’t dip below 110 which could indicate a bad filter.
Appreciate the suggestions and will report back this weekend.

1 Like

Keep walking your pierce delay up. I ended at 1.25 seconds. 1 second was still not long enough for my system.

2 Likes

This may not apply to your situation but I found this topic very enlightening:

If you want to investigate further:
If you want to check your torch height, here is a file from @Phillipw that allows you to run this gcode thru the IHS and without turning on the torch, stops at the “expected” torch height of 0.060 inches.
cut height test.tap (224 Bytes).

1 Like

I’ve had issues with the torch being higher after the new upgrade and X axis steppers are noisy as heck. I had to lower my cutting height. The stepper motors are very noisy during manual moving and a little quieter running a program. I also had mine lockup and had to restart the system. I did order noise suppression USB cable and Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core Noise Suppressors to put on my cables. It seems all the drives are noisier now and hoping it’s only interference that the Ferrite rings will reduce.

Be sure to check you actual cut height. I thought mine was a “little” off. It turned out it was at 0.095 vs the intended 0.06. In Fusion 360 I ended up setting my cut height to 0.022 from 0.060) and the spring back to -0.02. Now my cut height is 0.058.

Initially when I noticed, I immediately set the cut height from 0.060 to 0.040 and that was when I measured the 0.095. I had a terrible bevel with the cut so I knew I was way off.

1 Like

I need two finish looking at the cut height however installing the previous version again fixed the issue instantly, that makes me more convinced its a software compatibility issue between my tables firmware (which hasn’t been updated since shipped 2 years ago) and the newest version of fire control.
Ill find a PC to do the firmware update with later this month.
Appreciate all the inputs (and its a good call on cut height, I’m going to check that this morning) For torch delay I’m at .7 and its working great on the older fire control version.

1 Like

Solved!!! Erratic behavior, resetting issue, and motor noise solved. Recently I had downloaded the new Fire Control, at the same time I also tidied up my wire arrangement. One Y axis was lagging behind and both stepper motors were very noisy. I end up switching the Y axis leads and not much changed. I then moved the Y-axis lead from the top of the control box to just hanging, like before I tidied up the wiring. Problem solved. So only moving the stepper motor lead solved the problem. I did download the latest newest Fire Control software, which did help the cut height issue I was having. Now everything is quiet and smooth, I haven’t had to do a reset after each cut now, it also auto connects in the program now, which before I had to restart the program each time I turned off the controller. I did also add ferrite noise suppressors on all cable.