Fine cut Vs. Regular Consumables (Hypertherm 45XP)

Another newbie question. :slight_smile:

I’ve only been cutting carbon steel (11GA to 16GA) so far as I learn the ropes with random projects, making different designs in Fusion 360… still using the original consumables even though I bought a bunch of additional Hypertherm consumables for finecuts and etching.

On to my questions… Ultimately, I’m curious why I shouldn’t just buy and use the finecut consumables in the future for everything if it produces a better cut? Do the finecut consumables have a shorter life?

Yes, slightly shorter life as they are un shielded.

Also lower power output so slower cutting. You don’t want to go over 10 gauge with them.

Fine cuts are all I use for 16 gauge.

2 Likes

What’s your kerf width with fine cuts? I’m curious if I can buy them for my HF Plasma45.

Around .03

If you have a 45xp and the duramax torch you can run them. Just make sure to use the proper swirl ring too.

Why fine cuts? I cut 16 gauge on pro with Titanium 45 with plasmadyn machine torch at 45 amps, cut speed 205 ipm, cut height .059, 120 psi air supply to machine and 70 psi air at torch. I don’t lose any detail in cuts you can see the barbs on the barbwire pics clear as day no melt out. No THC on my pro either.

2 Likes

.03 kerf on finecut, .05 on regular, for very detailed items that .02 comes in handy

At .05 those headlights wouldn’t have happened without decent modification

3 Likes

zoom in and look at the grill on that truck or the arm that rolls the load tarp back. .035 kerf. cant do those with wider kerf.

2 Likes

Looks great.
What thickness steel is that and where were your settings?

It’s 16 gauge steel using book settings for finecuts