Finding Nominal Voltage

I’ve been making an attempt to use Nominal Voltage as opposed to Smart Voltage. The problem I’m having is that I’ll set the torch height and verify the measurement with a feeler gauge and then follow the LS instructions of turning the electrical box off, unplugging the Z axis motor, turning the box back on, and doing a straight line cut. My issue is that the voltage is varying a noticeable amount because of the material warping.

I’m working with 14 GA cold rolled steel right now and the voltage is climbing up to 20 V in the 9 inch cut. How is everyone dealing with this? Or is there a better way of doing this?

I’ve never done anything other than smart voltage, except for a few experiments.

You’re probably better off trying the voltage from the Hypertherm charts and adjusting based on the results.

By adjusting I assume you mean changing cut height in Fusion/Sheetcam?

No. If you use nominal voltage, the cut height that you set in CAM is completely ignored after the cut starts. The THC will raise or lower the torch to match the set voltage.

Higher torch equals higher voltage.

Lower torch equals lower voltage

If your nominal voltage results in too high of a torch height, lower the nominal voltage.

If your nominal voltage results in too low of a cut height, raise the nominal voltage setting.

2 Likes

What adjustments are you making if you’re using Smart Voltage?

Smart voltage uses your programmed cut height to take a voltage reading for each cut loop. It reads the voltage for the first 1/4" of travel and then uses that voltage reading to keep the torch at that height for the rest of that cut loop.

2 Likes

I’ll try using Smart Voltage then and see how it works.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have used nominal voltage but as David suggested, I just enter the voltage that Hypertherm tables state since I have a Hypertherm cutter.

If you don’t have a Hypertherm unit, not sure how that plays out.

1 Like

Opting for the Razorcut has really forced me to understand how this table works and cutting parameters

1 Like