Failing on second cut

I have a 45xp with a factory THC cable. I am cutting .080 aluminum with the ground clamp on the work piece. The first cut always works flawlessly but when the torch lifts and travels to another location, it won’t fire. FireControl detects it and asks if I want to continue the cut. When I say yes, it completes that cut and moves then fails again.

Hi Tim…

Most times increasing your pierce delay by .5 to one full second will relive this issue… I do not have an XP but, seems all cutters respond to FireControl a little bit differently… Maybe take some scrap and play with pierce delays a little bit… Come back and let us know how it works out for you…

2 Likes

Hypertherm calculates their recommended pierce delay from the time the torch fires and Firecontrol calculates it from the time the signal is sent to fire the torch, so you need to add time to the Hypertherm recommended pierce delays.

The first pierce delay is always longer than subsequent pierce delays, so that is why it works the first time and not the second.

1 Like

Makes sense. I will increase the delay and report back.

Changed the pierce delay to 1 second in SheetCAM and that solved it! Thanks for your help. Now if there is a way to change all tools without having to edit each one…

You could probably edit the SheetCam post… However, personally, I’d leave that alone and edit all my tools…

1 second is probably too long for .080 aluminum. I would experiment with lowering it a bit at a time until you start getting errors again. Then you will have a baseline to set the delay for your other tools.

2 Likes