8 Likes

Some sayings I came across:

ToolSayings2

ToolSayings3

2 Likes

Saw this one on FB

4 Likes

That is priceless! I have got to save that one. :rofl:

I recently helped a friend do a remodel job (add a mother-in-law apartment) in his garage. He had a slew of Ryobi tools and I had Milwaukee, Ridgid, Fein and Makita. He kept wanting to test his tools performance against mine. Finally his hired handyman started picking on him for his pride with the Ryobi tools.

3 Likes

That is one cold-hearted wife…

2 Likes

next year’s re-gift

3 Likes

My primary stuff is Ryobi because that’s the battery platform I first got. My alternates are Milwaukee because there are a couple Milwaukee only tools I wanted and there’s no HD near me now that we’ve moved. I can tell you my Ryobi drill beats the stuffing out of the Milwaukee. Not much difference between the two impact drivers though.

Ryobi makes a crazy amount of stuff and since we’re near TTI, we did find a factory outlet Ryobi store that has everything they make. It’s a big toy store :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Doesn’t TTI own Ryobi and Milwaukee? I seem to remember a year or two back when Ryobi came out with its high torque 1/2” impact they got slapped by TTI and had to pull them because they made more torque than the Milwaukee?

1 Like

For someone like my friend, Ryobi is fine. Both of us had 18V impact drivers. His stopped well before mine when we were driving concrete screws in his slab. When he was done, the shoulder was still 3/8 on an inch from touching the concrete. I was able to sink it quickly even after he was done.

It is hard to touch the power of the 18V Fuel impact driver. I have the 18V Impact wrench as well for car lugs. Works well but doubt it would handle heavy equipment bolts.

2 Likes

Brand (from battery) tie in large factor. I have dewalt stuff. But at my shop a guy has all Milwaukee fuel stuff which are very nice but $$$$.

1 Like

Most of mine was purchased during Black Friday specials at Home Depot, otherwise, I would not be owning so much Milwaukee. Most of my Milwaukee corded grinders were bought at full price: Not much discounts during Black Friday on their corded stuff.

2 Likes

And DeWalt and Hart. They make a bunch of different brands. I believe they are made in separate lines and probably different components to meet different specs.

3 Likes

I have a Ryobi pin nailer and Brad nailer. I don’t recommend the Brad nailer if you are going through MDF trim thicker than 1/2” it won’t drive them all the way through. I bought a set of 7 DeWalt tools on a Black Friday sale a couple years back. Also came with the tough system rolling box. I have a complete set of the boxes and organizers and really like them… but I think Milwaukee’s boxes are better and have more options. I went back and forth as there was also a Milwaukee set on sale. If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the Milwaukee set.

I have already let the smoke out of my drill. I shouldn’t have used it with the hole saw… I was going to get out the corded drill but it was just to easy to grab the cordless. It was one 2” hole to many.

My dad has all makita and his cordless grinder is much better than mine but it is probably a step above mine too, but I am not sure. He buys all his tools a local tool store… none from box stores, so I think he generally gets the higher spec version than what you get at the box stores. My 1/2” impact is better than his but not as good as the Milwaukee.

I have a Milwaukee corded hammer drill I like. It’s not a Hilti but it’s a good tool.

2 Likes

Erik, you make a good point with the variation of tools. I had started out to explain that I have already burned up 2 Milwaukee 12V impact drivers but they were not the FUEL version. I replaced them with the FUEL versions.

At the time they were originally purchased, the standard 12v impact drivers came with a 1 year warranty. I just looked it up and whether you buy the standard or the FUEL, Home Depot says they come with a 5 year warranty (don’t know if that is accurate). If it is true, it makes me think they are trying to correct something or make sure they don’t become the next CRAFTSMAN tool line falling from grace.

BTW, I still have a corded Craftsman 3/8 drill motor that continues to run strong and it is about 46 years old. It is heavy as a boat anchor but a good drill, none-the-less. Yes, it was the first Christmas gift that my wife gave me. It is geared lower than the modern drills which limits some higher speed purposes you would use a drill.

3 Likes

6 Likes

My dad has something similar to that out in his barn… I actually used it allot as a kid making stuff. I’ll have to see if I can find it. I remember feeling spoiled when I got to use the chorded drill he had.

3 Likes

I have a few old drills at my place.

6 Likes

Just as a joke I was going to say that hand drill is a much better choice than a battery operated drill that runs off a car battery.

But the brace and bit drills were really something to use: elegant.

Then I went online and found this article:
This guy actually wired a cordless drill to use a car battery:

2 Likes

This is definitely not me, my handyman goes full Ryobi and does great work.

2 Likes

my dad is 88 and he has both a brace and bit and a crank drill in his garage. However,… he also has both cordless drill and an impact driver.