Everlast 82i voltage vs amps

’ve been running my 82i on my plasma CNC table and I’ve been trying to run the .6 mm tips that is made for the iptm-80. I have the unit turned all the way down to 20 A running 60 psi air pressure. ( lowest I can go without the unit faulting with low air pressure) On my voltage display on my CNC control. It is reading at 104 V at 20A on 18g steel. When looking at the book it says that 20 A is 88 V. I am questioning if the unit is truly going down to 20 A because Im blowing thru The .6 mm tips.
For another reference I’m running a .9 mm tip cutting 3/16 steel. I am running at 105 V at 40 A. And with a .9 mm tip and 1/8 inch steel. I am running at 40 A at 101 V.
When I had my old hypertherm 800 connected running fine tip consumables I was running 78 volts at 30amps on 18g steel. With standard consumables and cutting 3/16 steel at 45 A I am running 128 V.

Both units I’m using the raw voltage connection right off the lead terminals inside the unit.

Thanks
Jay

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

On a 80 amp plasma cutters I tell people to stay away from the lowest settings as this seems to not work well. As far as the voltage, those readings will all depend on how far the cutting tip (negative) is from the metal being cut (positive). The closer the cutting tip is the metal the lower the volts as it needs less volts to jump the arc from the - to the +, the higher or wider the gap is the more volts it needs to jump the gap from - to +.

3 Likes

My thc is keeping it at .055 to .065 when using both units. I watch the torch height visually with eye protection and on the read out for most of the cut. My voltage is very consistent throughout the whole cut. My other option is to get a torch that works with the hypertherm fine cut consumables and the Everlast 82i plasma machine. Otherwise I’m thinking of going back to a hypertherm product.

My Hypertherm 800 has the upgraded hand held duramax hrt retrofit torch so it uses the latest non sync consumables.

Just buy a PTM60 Torch for your unit. I have one for fine cutting with my 82i. No issues at all. Plus the 60 series has smaller tip sizes to choose from.
It is definitely cheaper than a 5000 Hyperthrem.

3 Likes

The DRO is showing the torch at the height that you set, but that doesn’t mean its actually at that height. That value is calculated by the IHS switch opening and closing when the torch is probed down and back up. Along with the .020" added by the post processor for backlash compensation, it usually results in a cut height .020" to .040" too high.

You can set up a straight line cut and pause the machine in the middle of the cut to measure the actual height.

6 Likes

That maybe the case for fire control. I’m using the MyPlasma controller instead. There THC readout is pretty accurate when using the floating head switch. I have ran a straight cut and have stopped it and use height block and feeler gauges to measure the distance and has always been within .005”

Back to using a 60amp torch on a 80 machine. I know the consumables are constructed differently, but if Everlast has a .6mm and .8mm tips for the iptm-80 torch which I have and are using on the iptm-80 torch. How would going to an iptm-60 torch using the .6mm and .8mm tip be any different. Does the 60 amp flow air differently that it would not blow out .6mm tips. I’m not having a problem with the .8mm tips just the .6mm tips. The .8mm tip have a considerable bigger kerf compared to hypertherm fine tip consumables I was running. Considerable to me is .015” difference.

Also I’m interested in what other people are seeing for voltage with different thickness, amps, and tips. I know it is more of a reference but you would think all 82i would put out the same voltage if they were running all the same amps, tips, and height off the material. Otherwise how could hypertherm have a cut chart for there machines if they all ran different. I know there cut charts were pretty spot on with my powermax 800 for voltage and thickness when running .060” off the material.

I bought the 82i because it was a couple hundred dollars more than spending a $1000 on a retrofit duramax mrt machine torch for my Powermax 800 which is over 20 years old.

1 Like

You are not comparing apples to apples here. A Hypertherm plasma cutter using Hypertherm consumables will win most of the time even if its 20 years old. Compared to a Chinese plasma cutter with a Chinese torch and Chinese consumables that all came from different manufacturers and not engineered to all work together for the best performance.

Stop tiring to compare the two and work on getting a better torch and consumables for the Everlast. Or sell it and buy a Hypertherm machine torch for the 800 and use it till it fails.

And NO adding a Hypertherm torch to the Everlast may not get you better performance.

2 Likes

Point taken.

Then to answer my other question about the 2 different amp torches to work on a better cut for finer detail with the 82i why is changing to a 60 amp torch going to work better if they offer the same .6mm and .8mm tips for the 80 amp torch? Is it the different construction of the tips that make the difference. You’re still using the same power source. I’m just trying to learn and understand. I appreciate the knowledge that is being shared.

This is what I’m running on the iptm-80 right now.

I wasn’t aware that they made tips that small for the 80. I don’t use the cheap Chinese tips. They never used to. I’m glad that It is an option now for some. Although the Iptm80 and the ptm 80 torches look similar, they are not quality-wise. The iptm is just a clone copy of a good torch.
I bought a ptm60 for the smaller nozzle tips that were available. I stand corrected.

1 Like

That is good info to know.
Who actually makes the best quality torch for the euro connector machines. I’m assuming it is the Italian one? if the .6mm tips I’m getting for the iptm 80 torch are not as good quality as the Italian ptm 60 .6mm tips that would explain why I’m blowing out the .6mm tips then.

Biggdaddy What is the smallest tip you have ran with the ptm60 torch and 82i

They never made anything smaller than 1.0 mm for the longest time. I have been a dedicated George’s plasma shop customer for years now. The difference between the Tecmo and Chinese copies is worth the extra price. There is nothing wrong with the IPTM 80 or 60 torch, for that matter. It’s like a real Dr. Pepper and a food club version. They are similar, but you know the difference.

1 Like

I use 0.9 mm on the 80 and, I think, 0.6 on the 60 torches. Now, I don’t make signs, so my go-to tip for the 80 is a 60-amp Tecmo tip. I also couldn’t care less about kerf width on my shop projects 90% of the time. I almost run my machine at 50 amps for nearly everything.

1 Like

Thank you for the info

Do you recall what voltages your 82i runs at with different thickness materials?

Between 100v~125v, most of the time. The lower your smart voltage the closer the torch is to the plate. The higher voltages equals increased cut height. If you want to learn about the magic watch this video. https://youtu.be/7rcxj0vPB60?si=cYa0UCrUkcrxwJ7A
Here is another excellent video on the THC controller operations. https://youtu.be/7rcxj0vPB60?si=lL-DGua2YVjAteM6

2 Likes

This has been gone over many times on here as well as other sites.

I don’t like to type so I should save everything so I can just repost it every time someone asks.

Now if you want real answers to your questions you can call me and I will gladly answer them.

George
302-690-6995

9 am to 6 pm week days 10am to 5pm Saturday eastern time.

Also here is a quote from another thread.
*To further qualify that statement Mark @ Everlast told me to throw their consumables away; said they were far inferior to genuine Tecmo.

3 Likes

Thank you for your time and info George. If I go the route of the PTM-60 I will definitely give you a call.

I understand now that the quality of the tips for the IPTM-80 are not as good as the ones from Tecmo and that is where my problem lies. I would need to go to a PTM-60 from Tecmo so I can run the better quality .6mm and .8mm tips that they offer.

Thanks again for your time.

2 Likes

I run 60 amps across the board (14g up to 5/8"). The cut and kerf difference between .9 and 1.2mm too insignificant for me to bother dialing in lower power settings. Once I get my table hooked to the larger breaker I’ll dial in 75 amps and cut everything with that.

I used to waste a lot of time seeking perfection and the smallest kerf possible, than I realized that the standard kerf I get with a 1.2mm nozzle does everything I need it to do.

2 Likes