Epic failure .... No Laughing please!

Hey Everyone, after months of my Cross fire pro sitting doing nothing due to a new born Son I have had time to head out and attempt my first cut. Lets just say it was somewhat disappointing and very satisfying in the same breath. I am as green as they get when it comes to plasma CNC cutting. Tig Welding and general metal fab no worries !

I am using CAD for my design, then sheet cam for my G-code and finally crossfire. I am running a hypertherm 45XP with machine torch and Plug and play CPC cable. I have all my cutter tools set at the Hypertherm cut chart recommendations out of their manual.

There is a couple issues going on but can anyone take some time and give me a few pointers ?

1 - Voltage warning - came up twice but not on 3rd attempt ?
2 - Not completing all the cut ?
3- Cut settings seem incorrect but taken straight from hypertherm manual ?

Video of 1 cut ( Well 3rd )

Pierce delay probably needs to go up to .5 not .05

One thing the I saw in your video. When the torch came down on the left side it tipped the piece of metal, the metal moved and the initial height would be wrong.

I see pierce delay way to short
I think your cut speed is too fast.
Make sure your work piece is properly supported to prevent tipping so the height control is sensed properly

1 Like

Thank you for your help everyone.

The cutting tool files I actually downloaded off this forum from another member !

@73cruiser I did not even notice the pierce delay was incorrect decimal place. I will also try and support the material better, at the time of testing that’s all the plate I had to cut.

I have since made my own cutting tool files for sheetcam ( in metric as I am from Australia ) so will give everyone’s recommendations a try today.

Thanks again all !!

Nope, I’m gonna laugh anyway. Those look suspiciously like my first cuts! Congrats on the young son, welcome to the madness that is plasma cutting!!!

2 Likes

hahahah ! how cant you laugh… in my head I had pictured this perfectly cut plate, then Bang !!!

Thank you Keith, it has been a hectic 8 weeks as others will know with a young kids… Every time I try to sit down to do some reading. Nappy change, Feed etc !! hahaha.

BUT !

Had another crack this morning after creating my own Tool set in metric ( Hypertherm manual specs )

I did get the Voltage warning again on first attempt but went again and was fine ? seems random when it happens at the moment !

The letter work came out pretty nice for 8mm thick plate, standard hypertherm consumables

FRONT

BACK

CLEAN UP

2 Likes

I understand the cut out in the o on the video, but it looks like there was a cut or pierce before that as well as a cut down by the c at the start that probably aren’t needed. Might want to look at the file a little closer. What programs are you using ?

@Smurfos -
Looks Great!

That lettering was drawn in Sign Wizard then into Sheetcam.

I didn’t play around with much as I am in the testing phase but I did notice those extra not needed cuts as well.

not cheap if you want anything …inkscape is free…

Most of my drawings are done in AutoCad but Sign Wizard works a treat for art work and signs.