Easy way to get pierce count?

I’m a fairly experienced Fusion 360 user, I haven’t run into anything I couldn’t figure out yet but I can’t seem to get the google-ese right this time. The answer may be “No” but I’ll try this anyway. When doing a single setup I can click on the extruded surface of what I intend to cut which saves me the time of clicking each individual profile (“chain” to use Fusion’s term). The problem is that I don’t get any count on how many pierce points the program has and since most people count consumable life by number of pierces before swap out this would be a REALLY handy number for determining my pricing structure.

I can generate a setup sheet which tells me how many linear inches of cut my program has as well as some other interesting details I can take into my pricing. No pierce count though. Anything to save me the trouble of manually counting each pierce point would be awesome.

@TinWhisperer

conFusion360 question for you…a good one I think…

I believe firecontrol might show the Pierce count of a NC file?

Bottom right corner of the visualizer or top of the G-Code line viewer somewhere in there? ( I’m not sure about this)

I’ll check if it has the option in Fusion 360 I’m not sure if I ever seen it in there.

1 Like

If you are using windows you could open your *.nc in Visual Studio Code and search either “z1” or “pierce” and it should give you a correct number.

I’ve been using CAD professionally for 8+ years and I actually find Fusion to be pretty straightforward, I had some stellar professors teach me how to use SolidWorks though so I’ve got a bit of an advantage.

@TinWhisperer
That’ll work, not as elegant as a report right out of Fusion but if it can’t do it, it can’t do it. Thank you sir!

1 Like

I agree. I prefer to do as much work as possible within the fusion 360 workspace.

I think there’s somewhere inside Fusion360 that you can send in update requests for new features.

I threw a post onto Autodesk’s Fusion 360 Forum, we’ll see if anybody has any ideas but I’ll keep that update request in mind. I’ll post back here if anyone has any good ideas.

It seems like they had more conventional machining in mind when they generated some of these tools. I can add GD&T to Fusion prints but no welding symbols as another example. Left us fabricators out in the rain!

1 Like

This is a pretty direct route for requesting tools and different updates for Fusion 360

@ScorchedEarthMW did you ever figure out if it’s possible/how to pull pierce quantity from Fusion 360? I’m in the same boat. Also, what’s the setup sheet you mentioned with cut lengths and such? Thanks.

FireControl keeps a running tally of pierces until you reset it.

Peirce counter and cutting run time

But that doesn’t really answer your question.

2 Likes

SheetCam tells you this when you select the operation.

Still doesn’t answer your question though. Sorry. Lol

2 Likes

You could also get that from the tool data inside F360. I am an Excel nerd. If I wanted it I’d probably write a macro where I could copy and paste the data in and have pierce count pulled from the “lead-in” occurrences. May be /2 for actual count.

You could create a worksheet for each amperage of tip you’re tracking.

2 Likes