Done with Everlast (Problem Solved, Everlast still Good to go)

I’ve got a 62i that’s going to be excommunicado from the XR… I think my expectations were too high… It works… As in it cuts, but the plasma delivery is not consistent. It’s running the IPT60 machine torch and consumables from George’s Plasma Shop.

Because everyone has a different idea of “good” … Here’s my definition of a good cut… Material example 1/8" mild steel.
*Near 90 deg walls on cut.
*Symmetry of cut, so circles are true.
*Minimal backside slag
*Kerf width consistency

I’m doing fairly intricate cutting and need accurate tolerance and repeatability. Intricate work means lots of pierces… Average pierce count before failing to meet above standards is around 200 in 18g mild and only 100 in 10g. That’s just not what I was expecting… I am using the same basic parameters in file creation… 0.8s pierce dwell. 0.12 pierce height. 0.06 cut height. 0.16 arc lead in and out…

One of the worst issues is the flame will diverge easily and contact the nozzle, resulting in torch exhaust angle from the burn out. I can see it happen, torch starts blowing green as it cooks the copper… Dry fire demonstates significant flame angle out of torch. I get 2nd arcs often… When these happen, failure is from blowback start piston favoring one side of nozzle and erosion balls up, shorting the electrode and nozzle together… Lightning show ensues. I’ve swapped the original machine “IPT60” torch for the aftermarket IPT60 machine torch from George’s… His functions a little better… Piston seems to be more consistent on fires. The internal wires size and sheath quality of the machine torch from George is notably heavier duty…

The Everlast 62i is on my XR Table… The XR is absolutely amazing, wish I would have put another Razorweld on it. I have absolutely zero issues with the Razorweld X45 on my PRO table. The speed, accuracy, and consumable life is superior. For comparison, I had 1400 pierces on the original consumable set that came with the Razorweld X45. Kerf widened out a little, so I changed out… 1600 and counting on the second set. Kerf in 20g started at 0.047 and is now 0.053. Never once have I had a misfire… Not once! It’s never second arced. The flame is always 90 deg and cut material walls are not tapered.

I finally had enough of the Everlast drama yesterday. I was trying to get through 50 2" circle event medallions out of 10g mild. 100 piercing points total, ate 6 nozzles. Blow outs were the problem… Incase you’re thinking I overpowered… I was running 30amps. 20 or so unusable cut outs… The ones I did use all required excessive time grinding edges. What should have been a 30 min cut and a few hours with Cerakote and engraving took the entire day and minimally met my standards for delivery.

I’m sharing this with you all to help guide your purchase plans… The Everlast 62i plasma machine itself is solid (loud) and tough. I bet it rocks with a hand torch and freehand cutting. Probably good for thick metal cutting that will require post cut processing. Consumables are cheap for it, so frequently changing them out isn’t the bank breaker.

I think the “62” being a bigger number factored into my mind when I was buying the Everlast. $1300 typical price… Seemed like a reasonable increase over the $995 for Razorweld CNC with X45 machine torch. What you need to remember is that even though you’re plugged into 220v on both… It’s not a straight comparison of 45 amps to 62 amps. The DC voltage delivered to the torch is different. Cutting power is better compared with watts (volts x amps). My Razorweld 45 gives 118 volts DC… That’s 5,310 watts. The Everlast 62i only deliveres 96 volts DC… 5,952 watts. That’s just over a 10% increase in available power… Delivery of the power is the second factor… The 62i just isn’t getting it to the metal cleanly and effectively. So don’t fall into the same bigger is better trap I did. Quality is better.

So what am I going to do? I ordered a Hypertherm 45XP for the XR just before posting this… I’m wishing I went that way originally… I know I’d be happy with another Razorweld. The Razorweld X45 is a great copy of the Hypertherm 45… And I’ve read only possitive posts about Hypertherm from the expert guys here… So I kinda want to try one out and see if there’s much difference between those two. I’ll post some Hypertherm 45xp VS Everlast 62i cut comparisons when it arrives.

Here’s what I was working on… Disc golf ranking tags for the local league.

6 Likes

You are going to love the Hypertherm. We think the Razorweld is a good machine, but it’s simply not in the same category as the 45XP.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the derailed review on the everlast machine! I’m looking forward to your comparisons once you get the hypertherm up and running!

Seems to square with what others like @TinWhisperer have said about getting the power to the metal.

wow…I have no had any of those issues…I am up in the 500 to 800 pierces on 11ga to 14ga…

3 Likes

Never had one of those issues. My 82i has worked flawlessly.

2 Likes

I’m running the 60s after fighting the Razorweld since I got my table no major issues with the Everlast.

1 Like

I started with a everlast 60s, it was adequate when hooked to Raw voltage. I even continued to run the Everlast for a month after my PowerMax 85 was delivered, just too busy to make time for the swap.

When I did make the switch over to the PowerMax 85 . It was a far better machine, way more repeatable and reliable than the everlast in every single possible measurable Matrix.

BUT …you almost could buy 3 everlast 62i for the price of one PowerMax 85 so you got to take that in to perspective.

1 Like

What’s a normal number of pierces you get from consumable sets?

This is the kind of variability I get within minutes during a cut on my 62i. Material 10g.

That’s weird why is your torch giving you geometric problems.

Does your torch have lean or is there something wrong with the nozzle all the slope is one direction.

Can you pull your consumables out and take a picture of them is the nozzle still perfectly round and it’s the torch Square to the work bed?

That Everlast should cut way better than that.

And your air situations good?
I’ve seen you earlier posts with the setup you’ve made.

1 Like

Lol, thats exactly the same questions I would ask if I saw those parts… Torch is setup on 90s to bed… I can see the flame change from straight out torch, to angled by 20 deg… The air is dry as can be for 50gal/min output.

Psi @ 80, limited to more by 62i controller

I did a hyperslow video to see what torch was doing… This is screen grab off it right at fire… If I rotate the nozzle, the flame angle moves with the rotation. The frustration is because that nozzle didn’t slowly go from good to crap… It’s got 5 min of time on it… Its working OK, then a bad fire or two and done.

@JA6
I know you are detailed in everything you do…so I do not really question your air quality

When you say 80PSI is that supplied to the Plasma…or is that your output?
I supply mine with 100PSi but only cut with 60psi.

one thing I did notice the other day was the electrode was actually at a small angle in the torch…to I re-taped the thread and it fixed it…

that picture is wild…

I do know the pierce numbers are really low in the everlast…but I still get square cuts and above 500…

have you flipped the swirl ring over?

1 Like

Uploading: 20220407_091047.jpg…
Here’s what I get after 20 min in 1/8" mold steel. This set was brand new. I even put nozzle on lathe and ran a 0.020 drill in to make sure the opening was true. The electrode looks like $+1t fast and eventually fails to fire on blowback. I can replace electrode and run another 20 min, then nozzle is trashed.

Here’s inside of the above nozzle

to be honest that looks like water…
I was trying to look at the picture of your air setup…can you explain the system to me…in order from that compressor to delivery…from what I see it looks backward…

1 Like

This is the nozzle I just put on… It has 5 min and maybe 20 pierces on it. It’s shown in the video screen grabs above with the flame exiting tip at that angle.

I’ve been tempted to just machine a HD set… But I have other fun stuff I really want to do!

Air system is over the top dry…

1. Compressor
  2. Fan cooled radiator pre cooler
  3. Schulz ADS50 air dryer
  4. DEVILBISS micron filter
  5. DEVILBISS oil/water trap
  6. DEVILBISS desiccant dryer
  7. Motor guard filter
  8. Dry tank storage (humidity sensor @ “0”)

Then out to the shop air system. Each machine has its own regulator/filter.

But it’s the same exact system that I have running PTO table with razorweld 45… And zero issues with it…

funny…just the picture looked odd…

it is so wild…I went through my discard pile of electrodes…I do not have any as blown out as yours…

are they Everlast electrodes or knock offs?