Diy air compressor Aftercooler

Since using my plasma table and having a smaller air compressor, I have been constantly fighting water in my line. So after some research I found that guys are installing after coolers with their air compressors to bring down the temperature as close to ambient as possible, so that then you can catch the moisture in a water trap. Tonight I made my aftercooler setup, and immediately noticed a difference. I ran the compressor for about 15 minutes and got 0 water out my tool. Basically I got a ac condenser from a Nissan 240sx (although pretty much any size condenser will work as long as the diameter of the lines are not smaller then the factory line of your pump) I used compression fittings, and some copper pipe. Now ideally you want to Place the condenser in between the pump and the tank, so your air going into the tank is close to ambient. I still have to get a check valve to install on the pump in order to run it this way, so for now I have the system post tank, which still gets me dry air. Yes that will cause moisture in the tank still, but I have a water trap, filter, and desecant all after the condenser. I will be replacing the rubber hose from the outlet of the condenser with copper pipe tomorrow as well. I ran the razorweld today which I was previously having issues of the arc blowing out in the middle of a cut due to water in the air line. After my cooling set up I ran the table for 5 minutes straight with 0 arc blow out or any issue at all. I highly highly recommend anyone to do this if you want dry air.

6 Likes

awesome
you can put little fan blowing on it for maximum effect.

2 Likes

Ya I have seen people doing that as well. This seems to be working great right now, it’s about 90 degrees here in Oklahoma at the moment and i have yet to get any water in the lines, if I do then I will add the fan. Next step is a bigger compressor. I will be buying a 60 gallon Quincy within the next month

3 Likes

QT54 is a nice compressor

Check out polar air before you buy. Love my compressor and refrigerated air dryer.

1 Like

Check out the Eastwood 30/60 scroll compressor, I love mine.

1 Like

I’ll second Polar Air Compressors. I have their 10hp v4 with refrigerator dried in my coatings business and it’s a workhorse. Nearly 40cfm of air at 100psi and that thing is quiet enough that you can hold a conversation right next to it talking at normal volume.

2 Likes

Another easy way to dry the air is just running piping with some drop legs. Most of you guys will be running compressors not much beyond volume needed to run your plasma cutters. This means alot of hot air.

This is just an example I found on the internet. I’ll take a picture of my setup at home, mine just zig zags upwards on the wall with one drop leg.

2 Likes

I’ve seen those ways to, I just think it can get pretty expensive with copper or steel pipe. I have been using my set up for a few weeks now and have yet to get any water in my air lines.

1 Like

Copper certainly could get expensive fast. Black pipe youd probably have $50-70 into to. You technically want 50 ft before a drop leg, but can get away with less. Adding something like you did significantly cuts down on the amount of tube it would take as well.

Ultimately the name of the game is cooling the air temp to lower the dew point and giving any moisture a low point to collect and drain. If you got those pieces…you’re bound to make a huge improvement.

We got away with a little 5hp 12cfm compressor for a long time. We’d run it so hard that you couldn’t even touch the tank it was so hot. But we ran a 100ft zig zag of 3/4 in black pipe before it ran over to our spray booth and never had any issues with moisture.

1 Like

Just added this to my air setup. I already had copper lines throughout the shop with a drop leg by every outlet. Added this to the wall right next to my Eastwood Scroll compressor, approximately 60’ of 3/4" copper, cost was about $200 here in a small town with no big box store so other may be able to do it a little cheaper.

1 Like

I’ve been running this set up for a few months now. Impressed with the amount of water it pulls down. I also ran a filter/desiccant right at the plasma. Clean dry air for ever. Lol.

Just finished this one up last night. Basically just a long run slowly moving upward so any moisture will drop out and go to the drain at the bottom and then one drop leg with a drain as well.

Ran this setup in my other building (where I do my coatings business) and it did an excellent job for several years until I upgraded equipment and got a refrigerator drier.

2 Likes

The only place I have that much wall space is in my dreams :blush:

4 Likes

I hear ya man. I try to use up as much wall space as possible to clear up floor space…

Still reworking some brackets to get the rest of the stuff that belongs in that corner hung.

2 Likes

“as long as the diameter of the lines are not smaller then the factory line of your pump”

How can you get this info?