Desktop computer and longer USB cable

That’s what I do. Have an old skanky piece of stainless plate I put in the pan when cutting the thick stuff at high amps. Have cut 3/4" and 1" without any issues.

2 Likes

I have used a 15’ long cable from my desktop to do test runs on my legacy crosscut machine. I have it outside under my back porch and view it with an overhead mounted Ring camera during the practice runs. I get a lot of sun out there so only take my laptop out to run and cut when it’s cooler. I added two Ferrite beads to each end of the long cable. No problems on No plasma only dry runs. Shorter different cable, also with ferrite beads, during cutting.

1 Like

Good to know thanks.

USB A has a spec limit of about 10’ You can swing 15’ out of it if there’s not a lot of ambient electrical noise (not near a plasma cutter or welder). If you need to go further you can get USB over Ethernet adapters for less than $20 on Amazon (use a brand name… The Monoprice ones are fine) this will get you 100ft or so. Use a good quality Cat 6 or cat7 shielded network cable and try to run it as far from the table and Plasma cutter cables as possible. We use these adapters all over at the schools I work at (75-100 classrooms) with good results. I’ve not tried one in my Shop because my laptop is close. I’m moving to a new shop (yet to be built) so all my stuff’s in storage or I’d put one on and test it for you.

Good Luck!

(I’ve added links to the items I talked about. I get no kickback from the links and I don’t work for Amazon or the other companies. I’m just doing it to make it easy to find.)

1 Like

I’m got a 30 foot cable from Amazon and no problems.

Anyone have any luck with Maono printer Cables? Was looking to purchase a longer cable as well and ran across Maono brand, only one ground band on it.

https://www.amazon.com/MAONO-Maono-USB-Printer-Cable/dp/B09L4RYTDG

Is this the style of cable you’re talking about in the link above?

If I was buying an aftermarket cable I’d be tempted to get the type that has the two ferrite chokes, one at each end. Like in this picture.

3 Likes

Correct @TinWhisperer, the exact one. Would like to find at least 10ft and not have issues lol

wow. here is a low noise 10’ er for only 900$us.

those audiophiles are something else…

Holy smokes, I’m looking for something a little cheaper :rofl:

2 Likes