Cutting Parameters - Getting Started Reference Guide

Where do I find the information on the LMS tooling to start inputing into Fusion? I checked the website but specs arent given on the below kits.

1. MR-1 - Fly Cutter
  2. MR-1 - Ferrous End Mill Kit
  3. MR-1 - Non-Ferrous End Mill Kit
  4. MR-1 - Ferrous Ball Mill Kit
  5. MR-1 - Non-Ferrous Ball Mill Kit
  6. MR-1 - Thread Mill Kit
  7. MR-1 - 1/4" Chamfer Mill
  8. MR-1 - Stub-Length Drill Index
1 Like

Cutting Parameters - Getting Started Reference Guide - Rev. 11_30_2022.pdf (71.7 KB)
Here you go.

1 Like

Are you looking for tooling setup for your tool file?
You will have to do it manually. Jake was working on it but, itā€™s not available yet.
You can go to Lakeshore carbides website and download their Fusion tool list, Harvey tool has a good tool download also. These tool list are pretty generic. They cover most tools you will useā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks @Bigdaddy2166. I thought you had to put specific information into Fusion related to the tool. I probably need to do some reading and watching YouTube to better understand what information Fusion needs about the end mills. I have seen on other sites where end mill information broken out with leng, flutes, etc which seems like what Fusion is looking for.

1 Like

Adding the physical properties of a tool (length, flutes, etc.) is pretty simple with the tool in hand a set of calipers. Fusion walks you through pretty easily.

1 Like

Thanks @Voots. Iā€™m getting close to making my first cuts with the machine. Its been a long buildā€¦

1 Like

Where is the tool list download located on Lakeshores website. I cant seem to find it.

Its not on their website anymoreā€¦ Sorry

I talked to them. They are actually talking with Fusion right now and they are going to put it in for Lakeside.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great. That will be much better.

Where are you guys getting tooling from? I need a 5/64 square end mill for steel and I see from the chart most are 2 or 4 flute variable. I checked Shars but didnā€™t see any in that configuration.

Lakeshore Carbide https://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/

5/64" DIA. 4 FLUTE END MILL ALTIN COATED

$8.44

Just placed an order with them. They have some great pricing! Thanks @Bigdaddy2166

A couple things confuse me on the Getting started drilling chart. First- what is meant by accumulated peck depth? Second-peck depth for less than 3x depth and greater than 3x depth look to be the same. Why the two independent columns?

My machine is on the way and Iā€™m getting ahead of myself but trying to be prepared, I have two questions.

1. I plan to mill Acetal plastic More specifically POM. I have no idea what the cutting parameters should be.
  2. I do a lot of small tapped holes in aluminum. Specifically 3,4,5 and 6mm.
    I have no idea how to approach it. Would like to thread mill it.

Thanks,
sbdon

Congratulations! For speeds and feeds I would start with the aluminum parameters and work my way from there. I am new to milling, but have routed the plastic before, one of the biggest problems is chip evaluation, for example, you can plunge multiple times faster, but risk the chips clogging your end mill. I did a quick Google search and it looks like they make Threadmillā€™s for tapping 3 mm.

1 Like

Youā€™ll probably want to stick with single form or single tooth thread mills to keep chatter down.
When it comes to smaller and specialty carbide tools check out Harveytool.com
They have a bunch of resellers and some places you can order online from. They go down to M1.6 thread mills and their speeds and feeds are not too aggressive for the MR1.
I do like Langmuirā€™s recommended speed chart for actual mill work. Sometimes you may need to bump the speed by a few % to cut down chatter or spindle vibrations at some speeds. My mill for example doesnt like 4500rpm, meaning it harmonizes and creates a resonant vibration, but it will run smooth as silk at 4300rpm.
Iā€™ve taken quite a few cuts with my mill recently and have been pretty impressed with the package so far.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Started the build. Expect concrete pour in week and 1/2. Doing a base plate expansion. There will be questions and hopefully they will be in the right place.

sbdon

Figured Iā€™d add some input for feeds and speeds in 1018 mild steel.

3/8ā€ cutting tool, 4fl, the WOC and DOC recommended by langmuir are fine. Donā€™t take more. The speed recommended is way to high, 7200 rpm or about 750sfm. Drop it to 5000RPM. At this speed youll want about 20ipm or 0.0001ipt. This is a lot slower cutting than with their min recommended feeds and speeds, but the machine doesnt rattle like a tin can. I assume a similar de-tuning will be needed for other steel cutting recipes.

I havent cut aluminum yet. Rarely do.