Cut quality issues, never ending frustration

You may do test cuts to bump up around 15 if cuts clean… water level wouldn’t have anything to do with dross or should I say I have never seen proof that it makes it worse…

I believe it may just be nature of the beast thicker material will make more.

Do you have pictures?

The rw45 isn’t the best but not a bad machine I have made a few nice cuts on 3/4 even pierced not edge start. Just had to move on because of duty cycle.

2 Likes

Was just looking at the pictures you posted of your torch. It looks like your holder is in the wrong place on the torch. This can cause the inner working of the torch to bind and may be part of the reason you have to let the cup loose

1 Like

Are you sure air pressure is 70-75 at the torch… What is air pressure supply to back of plasma cutter? Never run retaining cap loose, I would upgrade to a better machine torch. I run a plasmadyn x45 machine torch on a titanium 45 plasma cutter cuts are excellent on 14 Guage material amps at 45.

Not at my shop at the moment, but I’m almost positive that the clamp is on the torch barrel. If I disassembled the torch head is there anything I could look for inside to see if its an issue with my torch?

I cant say that I verified that its 75 psi at the torch, but thats what the gauge on the plasma cutter reads during cuts. After purchasing the torch from LS I found out about the plasmadyn torches, and wish I purchased one of those instead. Ultimately if it comes down to it, I’ll purchase one of those for peace of mind, but I’d really like to upgrade my cutter instead ha.

Yeah I’m mostly just working with what I got at this point, I think i’d like to get my torch to work properly before I start messing with .5" material again so I don’t burn up a cap again.

Taking the torch head apart can make it worse unless you know what your doing.

Plasmadyn sells the same torch as Langmuir.

1 Like

I was hesitant to disassemble the torch, mostly because I wouldn’t know what to look for unless it was obvious. If its the same torch, then I’m not sure what to do at this point. I’m not sure if its just a torch height issue or something with the torch itself. I’ve tried different consumables and changing other variables and nothing has yielded me the results I’m after. I feel as if I tried this already, but I’m going to reinstall my hand torch and do some cuts and see if I can rule out the Machine torch being the issue.

1 Like

So do you know how to edit codes to make a file to measure your actual cut height? I have to use a cut height of .046 to get a actual cut height. I wouldn’t mind fixing you a program to measure your cut height I would be late tonight before I can do it though.

I definitely would slow down on your 14 ga. I think that is part of your problem on 14 ga.

1 Like

I used to cut 14 gauge at around 90 ipm and was still dealing with dross. But I just paused during a cut, carefully removed the torch shield and measured to the tip of nozzle. Unsure if this is the best method, but I measured .080" at the tip and tried to adjust to .40" cut height in sheet cam. After that, i paused during the cut and was still at .080". I would totally be willing to try your method of measuring my cut height.

You do mean .040" right. .080" is way to high.

Don’t worry about the doss till you get all the other things worked out.

Give me a call and I will try and help you with some of this.

2 Likes

Yeah i meant .040". I’m aware that 0.080" is too high, i was going to compensate in sheetcam, but it didnt change the cut height. That would be appreciated!

I assume you are using smart voltage.

It will be late tonight before I can do it. I will want to run it and make sure it works. Do you have filler gauges?

What time zone are you in?

I’ve used both smart voltage and nominal voltage. If I remember correctly, both yielded the same results with the measured cut height. I even performed the line test (set torch height to .060", disconnect z axis from control box, perform line cut and read live voltage), with the nominal set to that voltage, the cut height is still around .080". I’m located in Buffalo, NY, so EST. Honestly wont be able to get to my shop until tomorrow or Wednesday, so you don’t need to rush to get it done tonight.

edit: I do have feeler gauges

1 Like

@SCallahan08 Here is the tap file to check your cut height. this is programed for .02 backlash and .06 cut height.

when you open it will throw a alarm saying it is programed without thc just continue anyway. Move over your piece of metal make sure you have room to move x 3.937 and y 0.3937 then zero all axis. Hit start it will touch off the metal raise to pierce height, remove backlash go to cut height then end program. your plasma doesn’t have to be on it will not fire your torch.

I checked my rw45 the nozzle is .030 inside the shield but mine is a hand torch. You can just take filler gauge and measure from metal to shield then add the depth of your nozzle. I am pretty sure that you have to add the nozzle depth on the rw45 but not on a Hypertherm well I don’t always had decent cuts with it.

i hope it helps and I made sense let me know if you need more info. Make sure you use a piece of material that doesn’t spring back much to test with.
test line.tap (245 Bytes)

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ll likely be at my shop tomorrow night to give this a shot, I appreciate you taking the time to do that!

1 Like

Feel free to let me know if I can help anymore. I am by far a expert.

1 Like

Almost everything I cut is 14g and I use 110ipm 65psi and 40 amps with minimal dross. After i cut the part I can drop it on the floor and all the dross will break off.

1 Like

So i just gave this a shot. I measured (with the cap) .116" at pierce height and .080" at cut height. I also measured a nozzle depth of .020".

I didnt do any cutting but I loaded up a file that had pierce set to .113" and .040" for cut. I ran the program not cutting with thc off, I measured again (with the cap on) and got the set numbers for the program.
Does this tells m I need to have a cut height of .020 and pierce at .111"?
Is that a lot to compensate for?

I did notice some slop in the z axis lead nut, which I’m not sure is excessive or not.
Ill add a video when I get home.

Thanks again

So you would actually be cutting a .1. I would definitely compensate that. I use a programed cut height of .046 myself.

I think if it was me I would cam out a small circle or square so not a lot of material wasted. Start testing to see. Share pictures.

There will always be a amount of taper to plasma cutting.