Cut issues razerweld 45

Hello all, having some cut issues with Pierce delay My test piece is 16 gauge mild steel, with a Cut Height of .05 and a Pierce height of .12 and I’ve tried 3 different Pierce Delays of .7,.8, and.9 Good clean ground and new consumables. Has anybody ran into this issue before?

what size is air compressor and air pressure from compressor to inlet on plasma machine?

1 Like

Hmmm maybe your on to something I hava a 60 gal Dewalt. I was using an aftercooler but up graded to a harbor freight compressed air dryer I do have some leaks in my lines I need to fix. But compressor seams to be keeping up. Is there some kind of test I could do to check air pressure.

1 Like

What is your cut speed and amps?

Cut speed 115 IPM @32 amps

1 Like

Can you snap pictures of your electrode and nozzle?
How much cutting have you done with them?

52 pierces

Could be consumable issues have you tried new ones? What are you doing to remove moisture from your air?

Your pierce appears to be adequate. Is your torch rising during the cut?

Have you verified your actual cut height?

Yes measured it

1 Like

You can watch the air gauge on the front of your plasma cutter and see if it maintains 65-70 lbs while
Cutting

1 Like

Is it maintaining that height throughout the cut?

When you say the ground is good I assume the work clamp is attached directly to the work?

Yes it is at to the work.

1 Like

In the post I said I up graded to a compressed air dryer

seen that is that a refrigerated air dryer? was going on the idea that not all dryers will remove enough moisture by themselves.

moisture can ruin consumables fast and you can get cuts like that.

no means am i saying that is your problem just trying to help eliminate possibilities.

1 Like

Yes refrigerate air dryer with incandescent beads

2 Likes

Your amps and cut speed are in the ballpark. To me it looks like your loosing the arc either because the the torch is rising or you are loosing air pressure… or consumables.

2 Likes

Thanks but how can the torch rise when im having issues at the start of the cut its not wanting to pierce all the way through when it starts the cut.
How can I check air pressure?

watch the pressure gauge in the front of the machine to make sure the pressure isn’t dropping.

@Dozer I agree with the running theme above about air pressure issues, if your torch isn’t rising then extinguishing.

film or have someone watch a air pressure gauge near the plasma during a test cut.

When is the last time you checked or regenerated you desiccant ? If your desiccant cell is about a quart you have about 3-4 hours of operation before a switch is required to keep your pressure dew point at a recommended level.

1 Like