Custom Covers for Crossfire Tables?

Just a novice newbie here, with a fabrication background, who has absolutely no experience with plasma cnc, and has spent a small fortune on tooling up to get into business… :smile: Between Langmuir, Harbor Freight, and Amazon a guy could go broke… With that being the case, I want to protect my investments so they will serve me well for a long time to come, as many of you probably do also…

I am curious if the guys at Langmuir have discussed selling protective covers for their machines…
I pre-ordered my Pro table in February and am really looking forward to getting busy making some cash, and some very unique parts and projects. With a $4000 investment on the line, and while working around it on other projects, my mind goes to keeping my Crossfire clean and protected from other debris…
The Langmuir team might consider making available, a fitted canvas cover for the different models (2), and offer them as another add-on accessory, or an option when purchasing the table… Just a thought…

Anyone hear of plans for covers?

If not available already, or very soon, I will be talking to a local seamstress about making a durable black canvas cover for mine… If I was a tailor, I’d offer em to you folks… :wink:

Looking forward to April :heavy_heart_exclamation: :exclamation:

2 Likes

Its funny you posted this. Yesterday afternoon I had the shop doors open and it was rather windy. I was walking by my crossfire and randomly ran my finger across one of the rails. It felt like it was covered in sand. Wind blew dust and dirt on it. The oil on it is like a magnet for dust ect…Im going to give it a good cleaning and cover it with an old blanket untill I can come up with a cover.

1 Like

A poly tarp (one of those blue or silver ones you can buy everywhere) and a roll of Gorilla black duct tape can substitute for a custom sewn canvas cover.

Pull the cable support tube out of its mounting holes in the gantry. Lay it on the water table slats and you’ve got a mostly flat top (or at least you don’t have to account for a two foot pole sticking up :slightly_smiling_face:).

Drape the tarp (a 6x6 or 6x8 will do) over the table. Get it centered. It should not reach the floor & get in the way of rolling it around.

Go to each corner & fold it back against the side in a triangle shape. Tape the hypotenuse of the triangle to the side. Tape the base of the triangle along the bottom and fold the tape up to catch all of the layers of tarp. Repeat for the other corners.

Total cost about $15. Or you can look for a grill/smoker cover that has the right dimensions to cover the top and drape over the sides. They can get pretty expensive though.

The key is getting the cable support tube down & out of the way.

When it’s time to use the table just pull it off, poo the tube back in the gantry and you’re good to go.

Before shutting it down, move the gantry to the center of the table so the highest part is always in the middle of your tarp drape.

2 Likes

Maybe something like this could work also…?
https://www.amazon.com/Refial-Tractor-Waterproof-Riding-Resistant/dp/B07WHCWTHD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=atv+lawn+tractor+cover&qid=1583515397&sr=8-1

2 Likes

Big brain fart on my part. I have a yamaha rhino utv. I have a cover for it I bought when I duck hunted so I could hide it.cover Its green though and heavy made, Just on a shelf collecting dust for several years. should fit over the pro easy. atv or mower cover probably a better fit though.

2 Likes

And thank you waking my brain up.

3 Likes

L73 xW55 xH47 That cover there looks like almost the perfect size. cant remember the outside dimensions on the pro off hand but I think its close… Cheap too!

:rofl: sorry but this table here runs…no cover time available :rofl:
Nap time in a year or two maybe…

Good suggestions above!

2 Likes

:laughing: Thats Awesome! Hopefully I will get that busy…
Mine will be in use probably 50% of the time. The other 50% is welding and grinding fairly close to the table due to shop space. As things progress and get busier, I might build a dedicated shop for the steel work.

1 Like

Length 73, Width 55, Height 48
Might be perfect, maybe a little tight at 55, but for $24 might be worth a shot… Thanks :smile:

4 Likes

I use a welding blanket from harbor freight. I also do woodworking so I use the blanket to cover my wood lathe when the table is running. Its nice to have when making sparks.

1 Like

Hi Rock
I’m using a 50x50x24 Fire Pit cover

does the job
Dinsa

1 Like

the Pro table need around 70 inches , but would probably work for the XL. or the 2x2 table. Good find though.

I used the tractor cover @KX9M linked to up above. I take the laptop stand off (I am using pull-pins in place of the stock nuts & bolts) and lay it on the table slats. I also pull the torch cable pole out of the rail and lay that down as well. Then the cover can drop on and reaches about 2/3 the way to the floor. Keeps garage crap from landing on the table and prevents me from turning it into a flat surface storage area :wink:

1 Like

That’s Awesome! Sounds like it fits. Ill have to get one as I too have a multi purpose shop and want to protect the investment. :wink:

@RockMountainLLC Do you have any pictures of it installed? And did you get the large or extra large size? Thanks!

No, I am still waiting on my table…
But maybe @jamesdhatch could throw us a bone and show us a picture of his… :grinning:
LOL

Ah that’s who I mean to reply to! Hopefully he can get some.

1 Like

Here are a couple. I just tossed it on - there are a couple of seams you can use to line it up to make it straight.

The lump in the back right corner is the THC tower. I usually leave the torch head in the corner. The extensions on the rails past the water table are back there. The control box is on the left rear.

3 Likes

actually my other side business is marine canvas fabrication… along with the stainless framework that goes with it… which is part of why i have a pro table coming tomorro and the next day. if anyone wants custom covers give me a week or two to get mine set up and i can pattern/3d scan my table and make the beefiest covers youve ever seen for them… and for anything else for that matter including winter covers for 40 foot boats that will stand up to a foot of snow. found this thread bc was searching for possibilities about bellows to protect the gantry from slag etc

1 Like