Shop Floor "Sweating" Concern

My floor sweats with wild temperature swings during heavy rains everything in my shop has condensation on it. I open the doors and turn on the fans hasn’t caused a problem so far. The power supply should generate a little heat.

1 Like

I have had sweaty floors in sudden transitions from cold winter weather to a suddenly warm spring day. Would only be an issue if I forgot to switch the heat pump to dehumidify and the ambient temps hovered around system set temps and it wasn’t cycling enough. In an unconditioned space it would be commonplace in spring (and sometimes in summer and fall) in much of eastern Nebraska.

1 Like

The question about preventing electronics erosion in humid environments reminded me of my ‘dalliances’ in various outdoor monitoring systems. I found that the BEST, BY FAR, solution to protecting electronics from moisture is a treatment called Corrosion X. I have painted this stuff on a piece of electronics that was housed in a crappy ‘water tight’ enclosure and discovered, to my delight, that, even though this circuit, with WiFi radio, etc, was still working as designed with the entire circuit board completely submerged in condensed water.

IF you’re seriously concerned about erosion of electronics, get this stuff! Corrosion X. Forget the spray, it doesn’t spray very well. Get the liquid and literally paint it on EVERYTHING! Connectors, circuit boards, your dog, anything that can get wet.

Just sayin’…

1 Like

@WeldinRod1 I also suffer from the sweaty garage, mostly winter time western PA weather swings is like a woman’s mood swing. My shop at home is 30x24. I use a Rigid blower fan and have it set on a simple light timer to run 30 min 4 times a day. It keeps it bone dry in there. Sometimes I’ll bump up the times if I have something wet in there. Also went with the Rigid brand because of the lifetime warranty. Blew threw a few fans already, no pun intended).

I know this wasn’t your question but figured it would help.

1 Like

Interesting that just getting air movement is solving your sweaty floor issue. Is your shop insulated and fairly air tight? I assume if it fixes the floor wetness it also prevents it on any metal you have laying around?

I just run a dehumidifier in my shop that keeps it around 50% RH. But I’m only 600sqft so it’s easy. I did have major condensation issues prior to and this resolved it. I’m in NH, I suspect there are far greater humidity and temp swings here than in TX.

What RH are you measuring?

2 Likes

I had never heard of a floor sweating before, I had to google it. So weird.

It’s just condensation. A cold can of your beverage of choice does the same thing on a warm day. Concrete has a lot of thermal mass, plus is somewhat isolated inside a shop space. It can still be quite cold when warm humid air rolls in, and it sweats, just like a pop can.

1 Like

My shop is a metal 40’ x 40’ x 18’ peak building, it would take a pretty good dehumidifier to keep it dry. Plus its not insulated. I plan on having a custom cover built to cover the entire table to keep dirt / grinding dust etc… off of it, maybe just keep a light bulb enclosed in the cover during the sweating time. I like the corrosion x idea, I use it on my boats. Am I being overly paranoid about this?

My shop is 40x40 with the bubble wrap “insulation”. I have metal trusses and it’s 22 feet to the ridge so all my heat’s up there. I use blowers out of hvac units for fans so it doesn’t take long to dry things out. They’re a lot quieter than a regular fan.

I got a cover from Amazon for a lawn tractor that fits great. Beat the cost of a custom cover for me.

1 Like

I’d sure love it if you shared what you bought. A lot of guys do woodworking and other random dirty hobbies in their shops, and I bet more than one could use an easy cover to keep the dust off when not running the machine.

1 Like

That’s exactly the one I bought. Just checked Amazon and it said I bought it a year ago Saturday :grin:

1 Like

Does it cover the table entirely?

Yep. Pretty much down to the floor. I always pull the cable lead arm out of the rail and lay it on the table. I honestly don’t remember if it fits with the arm still mounted (I’m thinking it did but didn’t go down as far on the legs but I’m not certain).

If you don’t dry fit with the arm in place and take a picture, I’m going to have to when the one I ordered shows up. :joy:

1 Like

a lot cheaper than an upholster. thanks

Since that scoundrel @jamesdhatch didn’t reply with a picture in time. To anyone curious, here’s how that cover fits with the arm up.

It’s going to work just fine, and should still fit with the curtain system I have planned. Comes with a storage bag to stuff it in when not in use. Lifespan will probably depend on how delicate you are putting it on and taking it off the machine, and if you snag it on any sharp corners during those two procedures.

Yeah, like I know where that is :slight_smile: I pull it off and toss it on the bench. When I’m done it goes back on. If you lift the arm out of the rail, it will lay flat across the slats. You can replace the bolts holding the laptop to the table with those pins from HD and then you can pull the pins so you can pull the laptop stand and lay it on the table too. Then the cover will protect all that stuff you’ve got under the table.

1 Like