Cross Fire Pro not piercing

Hello all,

Need some help or advise. I just got my new pro table set up and did the first cut today. I hit start and it didnt pierce and only did about half of the program then stopped and gave me an error screen. I then realized i hadnt attached the ground, so i attached it to the metal i am cutting. I hit reset and start and it cut just fine, i went to do another and it is acting like the first time without the ground. It will not pierce through and run the program. I have the ground hooked to the piece of metal and i am trying to cut the same program, so nothing has changed as far as pierce delay or whatever. I have tried several times and even change consumables just in case and still the same thing. It acts like its not grounded. Any Ideas?

It seems like it is something with the ground, because i can take it off and it does the exact same thing.

It sounds like you might not have enough pierce delay. Make sure that the arc is all the way through before motion starts.

What kind of metal is it? Anodized aluminum will need to be scraped to the bare metal where you attach the Work Clamp.

Okay I will check that. I did run it manually and it pierces fine, so not the ground.

regular steel, 3/16"

This is what i have… i increased the delay to 150%, but not sure if that was the correct way??? Very new to this LOL

I recommend toggling THC off for now to troubleshoot this. What is your pierce delay programmed to? 150% of a very small number may not be enough.

Ha! I am getting closer. I changed the pierce delay to 1 and it cut the main portion out. I just need to play with the settings.

I notice that your G-Code is stored in a OneDrive folder. Do you run from that folder?
IMO, running from a cloud drive is a very bad idea…

Not to get the thread off topic, but why is that?

what should i run it from? i am somewhat good with computers, but not for CNC. I am very new at this.

Still having issues, I have changed the pierce delay both ways and the cut speed and it is still doing the same thing. :frowning_face:

Doing the same thing as in throwing the Arc Voltage Lost Error? What voltage are you seeing in FireControl when the torch is on? If you toggle THC off (the toggle button next to Settings) does it complete the program?

Yes sir, the live voltage for the THC jumps up to 125 volts. If i shut off the THC it will run through the program but not cut. It is still not piercing through and then just stops the arc, but with the THC off will run through the program with it on it will show the Arc Voltage Lost Error.

Unless the software (Mach3 or FireControl) were reading the file while cutting it shouldn’t be a big deal. I’m pretty sure both bring the file local and execute it from RAM. Once it’s loaded into memory there’s nothing cloud storage will do to affect it.

If it were streamed while cutting then you’ve got potential issues. Or just having something like OneDrive loaded can potentially cause problems if it decided to backup a multi-gig file while you’re trying to run a file - then it might suck down enough machine resources to slow you down.

2 Likes

It actually cut pretty decent on the first try but then after that i tried again and just wouldnt pierce. I did mess with the pierce delay and got it to pierce through, but it wont continue cutting.

What it shows when its trying to pierce.

@James5, @TJB, as Perfessor Hatch explains, if Mach 3 or FireControl reads the whole G-Code file and buffers it internally before cutting, then where the file is stored, should not be an issue. And, given that both of them plot out the cut path prior to cutting, one would assume they do buffer the file. However, what I have noticed is that I’ve had failures when I was running a file that was stored on an older USB memory stick using Mach 3. It was the only time I had a failure in Mach3 and it happened twice. I’ve since moved all my files to a local directory and haven’t had a failure since. Given that Mach 3 has a LookAhead setting tells me that they do re-access the file directly during execution.

So, from that alone, I’m inclined to be anal about where the file is stored. Further, in my own experience with the crappy 19th CenturyLink network we have at out location, I am very disinclined to use cloud storage in any case, but for something that potentially requires real-time access to data, NFW as we say in the trenches. Hence my statement about where the file exists.
Using cloud storage to transfer files? No problem for those who trust their networks. Real time access - no way…