#$%^ couplers slipping

I installed the steel clamping couplers and no more slippage!! Works great now, 15 minute dry run through a detailed cut profile and not the slightest bit of slippage. I tip my hat to Bigdaddy2166 for the lead on the couplers.

2 Likes

You’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Greetings
This might not be coincidence . IF you were missing or had an intermittent connection on one of the phases this could cause a pretty hefty jolt on direction change.
I would clean those sub D connectors and pins with some spray electronics cleaner and also replace the plastic knobs with some small screws.
My 2 cents and worth every penny.
Have Fun
Tim

I would take the shafts and couplers and the motor’s off. take then to a machine shop and have then cut the shafts couplers and motor for a keyway. It would solve all problems with slippages.

1 Like

That would sure do it!!! Great idea but the clamp type couplers with two screws on each side seem to have solved the problems.

The Rutland couplers are steel instead of aluminum. They are also relief cut in backside of the bore. Being steel you can really tighten them up without stripping. The standard aluminum one will strip out very easily. They solved my problem once and for all. Highly recommend them.

2 Likes

order these with the correct size holes for your shaft
RULAND MANUFACTURING Motion Control Coupling: 1 Piece Clamp, 5mm x 5mm, 26 in-lb Rated Torque - 30UR68|FCMR19-5-5-A - Grainger!!!g!630077959432!&gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5oiMBhDtARIsAJi0qk3_CFGI9HEz0SH-gYYfqtMsDZt0cp7ZV1s1r9__9O0riQWZg4KW_uAaAtLpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Stepper motor shaft is 6.35 mm or . 250.
Lead screws are machined to 6.35mm on most.
Some are. 375 on motor end

Whew! Those are pricey couplers! I’m going to give the $18 ones a shot first. If I have excessive whipping or vibration, maybe I could be convinced to switch the X, but not sure I’d pony up $200 to replace all 3.

agreed they are pricey but in the world of motion control and robotics using steppers they are the standard. They cut way down on harmonic vibration caused by the motors.
This likely has no bearing on plasma cutting but is serious concern in machining as well as robotics where the mass and distance from load center changes and harmonics are a very bad thing.
Have Fun
Tim

I find this idea very interesting I wonder how much difference it would make?

.25 inch is 6.35 mm

1 Like

Sorry you are correct. This old man hates the metric system.

2 Likes

likely not much in plasma cutting although the reduction in harmonic vibration might allow the bolts to stay tight longer.
Have Fun
Tim
PS my 300 dollar 3d printer has these couplings on it

1 Like

I replaced both of my Y axis couplers with these and no more slipping. I used a Dremel with a grinding stone to grind a flat area on the motor shafts and lead screws and problem solved.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YDD23QX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

3 Likes