Copper Air Dryer Design - Check my Math

I agree, if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. You have obviously have it dialed in by the sounds of it.

It truly just depends on where you live. Moisture can and will affect consumable life and cut quality. @Markyo if it works it works what region do you live in? Hope you don’t mind me asking.

2 Likes

@Phillipw is very correct…it depends on where you live…
I live in Ottawa Canada…and the temp and humidity here fluctuate hourly…yup…
here is the last 120 hours in Ottawa

mix into that the temp fluctuations

I need constant dry controllable air…

2 Likes

@toolboy you know some people go overboard as well as I do. Then some say I don’t have that problem. Others try to improve their work and have a hard time understanding causes.

I am like you if I didn’t have my dryer setup I could use my plasma machine to wash people’s ev cars and charge their batteries at the same time.

1 Like

That humidity graph makes me really sad inside…

-TM

Fun fact if you are drawing air from an environment that’s -60° Celsius atmospheric pressure you will achieve the desired -40 Celsius pressure dew point at 100 lb pressure with no added air drying equipment.

The average mean temperature at the South Pole is my - 60° c making Antarctica the world’s biggest desert. And it’s a desert because of the cold the same reason we chill air to get rid of water vapor in our systems.

tumblr_msdlo3hLUC1sbx0r2o1_500

2 Likes

Think we can tun remote air filters for our compressors that far??

1 Like

That answers your question above @Markyo lives at the south pole! :wink:

Actually I am also interested in the climate where Mark lives and more details about Marks air system.

2 Likes

I am also interested , his numbers double the best outcomes on consumables that I’ve heard of or seen.

Definitely worth investigating how this is achieved. It could help everybody out.

Unless that’s on 26 gauge then I can see thousands of pierces. Or some other thin gauge ultra low amps scenario.

2 Likes

…funny how this discussion seems to be teaching that the best copper piping solution isn’t copper piping at all. :slight_smile:

Kind of like a “King Kong” version of the popular Derale oil cooler solution… this one has a full 14" x 18" cooling area with 1" NPT fittings for the air lines.

This is the “Step 1” add-on to reduce compressor head temps from ~250-300F down to something more workable… then maybe some copper lines… or a second cooler… the HF Refrigerated dryer… and some filters and dessicants at the end of the line.

Special thanks to @TinWhisperer for all of his advice and product link to this aftercooler. :+1:

-TM

3 Likes

lol I live in Cal Central Valley, Hanford to be exact, I have cut every month since Jan when I got table.Don’t you guys jinx me

2 Likes

I’ve cut a lot of larger projects too. Only screwed up a couple and that was coupling slippage.

1 Like

Man must be dry as a popcorn fart there. I live deep in the middle of the Appalachian mountains. I can no joke use my compressor as a pressure washer.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

I am working on a project in Fresno as we speak (I guess technically I’m wasting time on a Fourm :wink:)… was there a week or two ago for a site visit… Definitely not the South Pole… I think it was 106 deg when I was there.

Envious of your results! If I were you getting those kind of results I wouldn’t change a thing either. Is the second one a desiccant filter? If so I have a similar setup but not getting anywhere close to your results. I am assuming you have a Hypertherm cutter?
I am going to add a aftercooler to try to improve my results.

Looks like you have been busy, you have some nice work hanging on your wall!

I will be cheering for Fresno to beat Oregon St. Saturday!

Yes on the bulldogsfor Saturday. To answer your question and show how dumb I really am, neither is desiccant filter just air dryer. i get very little agua out of the compressor itself. I have gone through several full sheets of steel. I reset ( accidentally) the pierce counter at 2300 and I’m back above 1400. I haven’t cut much in a month cuz garage is hot AF. I have zero reasons to exaggerate on a forum that’s why I posted in the first place most of you all are smarter than me .

14 / 16/ 1/8……I’ve toyed with 1/4 just a little

Oh yes it’s been above 110 degrees for the past week. Yes hypertherm 30xp is my cutter.I’d like to think I dialed it in but I knew little when I started the only upgrade I’ve done is green stuff in the water which btw is bomb for preventing rust

1 Like

Not me… I got my table late December… I am still learning. Learn something new every day. You aren’t the first person to report good results without any air drying equipment. A colleague of mine who lives just one valley over from me told me he doesn’t use any air drying equipment either and has good results. I think there are allot of variables to good air. I do think your situation is unique and probably has allot to do with climate.

Heck when its 115 degrees outside 250 degrees is almost ambient temperature right? :wink:

Dont blame me if things go south with your air… Im too easy of a target… pick one of the more senior guys. :wink: :rofl:

That is a great looking product.

And the best part about it it’s specifically built to be an air to air heat exchanger.

Where is the Derale was built to be a oil to air heat exchanger.

2 Likes

Necro thread, my bad.