Computer to use

I am really new to this and I would like to know about what computer I shoud use. Mac or Windows.
this is something I would like to be able to use when making wind chimes for what I call the sails, I am an old dog learning a new Trick and need some help.

1 Like

Well, it really just depends on what you’re familiar with.

I grew up on computers and I’m the kind of person that never leaves things alone as they should be; I’ve used everything from Windows 95 and up, Fedorax, Ubuntu, and more.

With that said, I can’t even begin to use a Mac. However, Mac is supposed to be for those that like things to work seamlessly with little to no work on the user end. The downside to that is proprietary hardware, limited programming, etc.

Mind you, the “working seamlessly” is not applicable to a CNC table. I’m just talking about in general with accessories Apple likes to offer.

So, if you want something “easy” albeit pricey (if you want to expand for peripherals for personal use) then Apple is the way to go.

Windows itself is stupid simple as well and if you’re just wanting to dedicate it to drawing and making stuff on your plasma table, would be my recommendation.

Question is, how will you set this all up?

You can run a mini-PC to control your table via Firecontrol and have a dedicated PC for drawing/designing on. Me, I have a laptop dedicated to my table and a PC inside the house I draw on since I hate using touchpads.

Others draw on the very computer connected to their table.

Just something to think about.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum Woody (Neal).

Like Kwikfab, I have heard that Apple is easy but I have been with Windows for so long that I can’t seem to get the hang of the Mac.

I recently bought this HP laptop from COSTCO. It was to replace a poor performing Dell laptop. Normally, I am pro Dell and anti HP. I had planned for it to primarily run the plasma table and I would do my design work on my Dell desktop. Well, this new HP laptop is very capable to handle the design work as well. You just do not want to bog it down with every program under the sun if you are wanting good performance to continue.

I have been using this computer for 6 weeks and like it more everyday. No complaints. I have the CrossFire Pro and Hypertherm 45XP. I used it this last weekend and had it plugged into the wall the entire time and had no hiccup from FireControl. A few weeks back, FireControl was giving some fits so it still may be a bit iffy when it is plugged in and trying to burn a project (most recommend running on batteries when you use a laptop).

If you are having vision issues and need a larger screen, make that consideration up front (buy a laptop with a larger screen) or use a secondary monitor.

2 Likes

@Woody1 Welcome to the forum!

If you just want a computer to run your table, here is what I am using. It works very well. It’s a mini PC, monitor, and keyboard. This can easily run your table for under $250. You can email files to it to be cut on your table, or you can use a USB drive to carry them from another computer if you don’t have internet access in your garage. This mini PC can also easily download cut ready files from the internet from sources like Langnuir’s Fireshare site.

Amazon.com: Beelink New 11 Generation Intel N5095 Processor (up to 2.9GHZ), Mini PC,Mini Computer with 8GB DDR4 RAM/ 256GB M.2 SATA SSD, Supports Extended HDD & SSD/4K 60FPS/Dual HDMI/ WiFi5 /BT4.0,W11 pro : Electronics

Amazon.com: SANSUI Monitor 22 inch 1080p FHD 75Hz Computer Monitor with HDMI VGA, Ultra-Slim Bezel Ergonomic Tilt Eye Care LED Display for Home Office (ES-22F1 HDMI Cable Included) : Electronics

Amazon.com: Lovaky MK98 Wireless Keyboard, 2.4G Ergonomic Wireless Computer Keyboard, Enlarged Indicator Light, Full Size PC Keyboard with Numeric Keypad for Laptop, Desktop, Surface, Chromebook, Notebook, Black : Electronics

If you plan to create your own designs using CAD and generate the G-Code to run the CNC table(CAM), you need to decide which program (Fusion 360, SheetCAM, etc) you will use and look at the system requirements.

5 Likes

I sure thought about what Bret is talking about: the mini-PC. If it is just to run the table, I think that is a very good move. I just had other reasons such as interacting with emails on the road and editing photos, etc. So that led me to the laptop purchase.

1 Like

To piggyback on my post, the laptop I have dedicated to my table is actually an extra laptop I had going unused.

Lenovo Yoga with a Ryzen 5 series APU; it’s pushing 4 years old but still runs Fusion and Firecontrol when I need to make adjustments on the fly all while streaming music and web browsing at the same time.

However, for intensive drawings I find a little more RAM helps as I use my gaming PC for the resource hogs.

3 Likes

This is a perfect setup for the table. It works flawlessly. Just make sure you buy it with an Intel and Not a Rysen.

4 Likes

It’s a great time of the year to be buying a new computer. Shop around and find a super computer for a great deal. GL

You know those little mini PCs are amazing. The one I bought has 4 USB ports, so I have the LS connection, wireless KB and mouse, and still have a port to plug my USB drive carrying files from my Asus laptop in the house to the garage.

2 Likes

Here is how much I value your recommendation:

I am saving this, just in case!!!

1 Like

That touch screen is a very neat idea!
And, I love the idea of Bluetooth that @Bigdaddy2166 recommendation:

@Woody1, let us know how you ‘land’ on your decision and how it worked out.

I have the same monitor as @Bigdaddy2166 recommend, then I have gaming laptop I bought on sale for the shop computer. It is fast enough to use fusion 360 with no issues if I need to at the shop. I started with just garbage windows 7 lappy that I upgraded to windows 8 and jammed some cheap used ram into it. One of those mini pc s get run FireControl no problem. Even someones old lappy and desktop from Craigslist is going to get you by.

2 Likes

I really like this option.

TW is the only person on the planet who uses Fusion360 “with no issues”! :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Bonus points on that punch landed!

1 Like

lol, Well you got me there. Almost no issues.

More power seems to lessen the issues with Fusion 360

4 Likes

Tin, I also have very little problems with fusion. I just wish some of there update we more informative. An yes, that little mini pc can run Fusion without any issues.

5 Likes

Well as some of you know, I can’t say I have any issues with Fusion 360 with my new laptop…

3 Likes

Zero issues here on both the PC or laptop ever since I first used Fusion.

What issues would one have anyway?

@Kwikfab

Probably the most common is the black screen freeze when F360 is asked to move or alter a heavy file. The left area of the screen will turn black and F360 will not accept any request to cancel the operation. Sometimes it’s necessary to invoke Task Manager.

It happens often if you try to load and modify a file converted to SVG or DXF and it’s very node heavy. Here is a Chicago Bears conversion I made a few days ago and it froze F360 first time I tried to eliminate some nodes.

1 Like