Clamping down material - binder clips!

This is what I like about this forum…sharing of ideas…friendly…helpful…immaginative…
Thanks everyone

3 Likes

Wonderful! …I just made some as well. Dremel does a very good job at it. Thanks, Brilliant idea!

This is a great idea. You can do the same thing with i-beam clamps for heavier steel. I use them for locators and hold downs on 11 guage.

Todd, could you please share more information on i-beam clamps, which ones you’d recommend, how big? And how you fasten them to the slats? Thanks!

This is genius i must admit.

2 Likes

While waiting on my Pro to be delivered I’ve been gathering other items for the system. I did get the silicone splash guards, lasers for cross hairs and purchased 1/2"x1/2"x1/2" N48 Neodymium Magnets. I plan to use the magnets on the slats to hold thinner material down.

The magnet with probably get damaged if it’s in the plasma path. I do use magnets in the water table attached to the bottom of the slats near the water drain. They will pull out a lot of the suspended filings before they go down the drain. I keep them in small plastic bags so they’re easy to clean… whenever I get around to cleaning the table :rofl:

1 Like

@TomWS - They attach to the side of a slat towards the top of the slat. Then when you put your material on they will be totally hidden.

Not when you cut through the material.

3 Likes

True, but having them on perimeter of what’s going to cut should do the trick, similar to the paper binders. At least, that’s my plan.

1 Like

@TomWS - The baggies and magnents near the drain are a good idea too. I might try that as well.

Cool! Let us know how it works!

@Casper can you explain more about the silicone splash guards you mentioned?

I see Casper cursing the magnets as he tries to clean off all the floating metal particles that stick to it…

Someone had found these silicone funnels work good for reducing splash. CNC plasma table silicon torch shield (cheap!)

I use magnets frequently while welding and use an air hose to blow the particles off.

I use magnets (with baggies, of course) mounted just below both of the grinding wheels on the grinder I use for my turning tools. When they get too ‘fuzzy’, I bring the bracket to my bin, pull off the ‘baggy’ and all the filings fall neatly into the bin. I generally don’t like metal ‘particles’ floating around in my woodshop that also serves as an electronic shop.

3 Likes

What a great idea! I say we call it the MATTCLIP.
#mattclip
#crossfire

1 Like

gone to revive this thread for others to see…this is one of the handiest little mods to use when cutting thin metal…like hand saws…

these are the greatest !!!

3 Likes