Chip welding help

So im a noob when it comes to actually.majing chips. Good at controls and the design and super quick programs to cut out a makeshift SMW baseplate wasnt that bad and i got away with default settings for feeds and speeds for fusion.

Trying to make a simple mario coin as practice and for my son. The 1/4in endmill contour to make the coin shape went alright with some highpitched chatter. But when i went to the 5mm endmill from china it sounded better but halfway througj i noticed it was chalked full of chips and more pushing them around than cutting.

Just want to make sure i understand this correctly. Cause going off of the langmuir cheat sheet they set all the endmills for aluminium to rhe same max speed and change the feed. Is this ideal or is it more likily that people atart and lower rpm and just go slower with feeds to feel out stuff as opposed to plowing in based off someones spreadsheet.

Also just so i know the general understanding; this happened because to much speed and not enough feed, correct?

Based on what im seeing you’re getting a ton of recutting and rubbing. I have no idea what S&F youre running but here are some tips.

I’d start at 8,000 RPM and 14 IPM with a good coolant. Comes to approx .0005 IPT (assuming 4 flute). Make sure you’re getting good chip evacuation. It’s likely you’ll need to decrease chip load further. I also find i need a much lower surface feed than normal with the MR1 to keep everything happy.

For nonferrous like aluminum the preferred tool material is HSS with a bright finish. A good quality carbide mill will work but you want either uncoated or something with a very smooth surface to prevent sticking.

2 Likes

Typically I’d recommend a 2 flute end mill for aluminum. It will help with chip evacuation and that may be the root of your problem.
What is your depth of cut, step over, rpm and feed rate? May be able to dial it back enough to get your tool to run it.

2 Likes

HSS is good, Bright Carbide is good, ZrN is good, PCD is even better - but stay far away until you know what you are doing

It actually looks like the OP wasn’t using coolant. Coolant isn’t only to keep things cool

dont use more than a 3 flute in aluminum, if you chip weld you need to slow the speed or increase feed.

2 Likes

Compressed air can be very effective for chip evacuation. You need something to get the chips out of the cutting area.

You can save that endmill. Chip off what you can, then put it into some lye. It’ll eat the aluminum off and won’t damage the carbide.

5 Likes