Cheesy Indexing on Crossfire

I’m eagerly awaiting the release of homing switches for my Crossfire XL w/ THC. In the meantime, I’ve been experimenting with other mechanisms to help me get consistent, tight positioning of workpieces where I have very limited margins. Ideally, this involves having a fixed mark on the worktable that I can consistently return the torch head to, as well as used to position the stock.

My most recent effort works fairly well. It’s a piece of right angle galv. flashing that I attached to the table with magnets and positioned hard up against the Y axis. I then put the torch hard up against the X and Y limits and used FireControl to cut lines so that the galv flashing has a cutout with lines that are true to the X and Y Axis coming together someplace I can consistently place the torch head.

I now have a trued reference for X0Y0 and trued lines for X and Y. I have to take the kerf into account, but I’ve been able to place different diameter saw blades that I’m using for knife stock well enough to postion the cuts right up against the edge of the blades.

This is janky, but I am able to remove it if needed and replace it to a fairly tight tolerance by placing it hard up against the Y axis, the front of the water table, and flat onto the slats.

2 Likes

I mark the workpiece at fixed intervals and process the design so that the sections that fit inside each interval are offset by the interval. I have the workpiece against the Y Axis (using angle iron as the ref line, similar to you) and simply slide the workpiece by the interval amount as each section is cut. Works pretty well with reasonable matching at the joints.

2 Likes

Here is an idea I’ve thought about doing it but haven’t had a need for it as of yet.

3 Likes

That’s a corner reference. When we’re talking about indexing we’re talking about cutting designs that are larger than the table so multiple sets of cuts need to be made with the work precisely moved after each set.

Like this:

3 Likes

Sorry, I used the term loosely.

Indexing is definitely an aspect of ‘tiling’, which is the process you’re referring to. I do a lot of that in my router CNC work. But to do tiling, you have to be able to consistently reposition to a known reference, such as a corner reference, often referred to as ‘indexing’ the piece.

Of course, the origin of the term really comes from machining and has to do with dividing up something circular into equal divisions.

I was using the term as described here: Indexing (motion) - WikipediaIndexing in reference to motion is moving (or being moved) into a new position or location quickly and easily but also precisely.”

1 Like

Ah! Double whammy! @Madman was right on the money, and I was totally off the mark. Sorry…

Still not sure if I’m right lol,. I just saw the original pic and thought I remembered seeing something a little bit fancier. Wasn’t really paying attention to wording, we call what you did repositioning,.

Given how lame my cutting/welding/machining/routing/etc. skills are, it’s at best hilarious that I’d imply I know all the right terms for things. I’m completely self-taught from the internet, so my attempts to do things often involve actions that would make anyone with experience or skills look at me cross-eyed and back carefully away! :crazy_face:

1 Like