Ceiling / enclosure top for the MR-1

Hello all :slight_smile:

New here and just ordered my system. I would really like to add a top ceiling for even better enclosure coverage. I do not want to re-invent a good wheel if it exists, so was hoping that some of you good people could point me toward a design/product/discussion on the topic? Hoping I’m not the only one with this thought…

Thanks,
John

Just add two LED lights if that’s what you want. I never had any problems with not having a top. It has been done. It may curb the noise and debris from getting in. It’s personal choice. Go for it.

3 Likes

That looks great…nice job! Was looking for a bit more separation between where between my shop environment and the machine environment so thinking some sort of plexiglass and an extruded aluminum type frame maybe…

1 Like

That’s the great thing about the MR1. You can modify it the way you choose. Milling is a loud operation. If it’s inside your home, I can see the concern. We are here for you if you need us.
When you do get it, please follow the freaking directions on assembly. These first steps will determine how the machine works for years to come.

4 Likes

I used a piece of the shipping container (OSB board). I painted one side white and just set it on top. It sags a little due to moisture but not bad. I added it after I installed the LED lights John suggested.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the response and tips. That’s definitely at least an interim solution :+1:

1 Like

I went the ghetto route and just put a few boards on top and use it for extra storage of things I rarely use

2 Likes

I use a layer of pink rigid foam board (2 inches) plus some a layer of mass loaded vinyl on top of mine to reduce noise. My machine is in the basement and this helps keep spindle noise from being heard in the living room above. Nothing fancy, it’s just lying there on top of the machine.

I added LED lighting on the sides and front, but they aren’t attached to the “ceiling” described above, they are on the top edges of the walls.

1 Like