Can THC track cutting Square tubing that's rotated?

The title says it all. If I set up a Square tube under a torch on a CNC Plasma cutter and, instead of moving in X, for example, I rotate the tube so that the dx/dt is similar to what it would be for linear IPM, oh, and THC keeps the cutting height constant, can I do a reasonably clean cutoff of square tube?

interestingā€¦almost like using a table saw for a 4x4ā€¦

you would need a fence or block to keep the end and/or side in the same position.

Yeah, Iā€™m thinking of a fourth axis motor that is driven (in a scaled way) by the X axis commands. There have been previous discussions on this on this forum but I never realized the value of them until I started thinking about getting into welding. Square tube is like the lego building block to start withā€¦

to be honest seems like a lot of work to cut square tube.
i do a lot of welding and a porta-band or a basic chop saw work great.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a chop saw, but I canā€™t imagine cutting 2" x 1/8" square tube on it. Can I?

are you using an abrasive blade or an actual metal cutting blade with teeth?

You can? I cut a lot of aluminum on mine using a good carbide tip blade. A little lube and cut. I have cut steel on mine using an abrasive blade made for cutting steel. LOTS OF SPARKS! Do not force the cut but keep steady pressure. I use my shop vac to pull the sparks and or aluminum chips away. Wear your face shieldā€¦ and pay attention!! I have cut 2x2x1/8" steel tube. I clamped the material so it couldnā€™t move and bindā€¦ I am talking about the saw I normally cut woodā€¦

1 Like

https://www.diablotools.com/explore/saw-blades/steel-cutting

1 Like

I have both an abrasive chop saw and an evolution rage ā€œcold cutā€ saw meant for metal working.

You donā€™t want to throw a metal cutting blade in a standard chop saw, there is a torque rpm issue I believe. I havenā€™t tried, I donā€™t want to ruin an expensive blade.

That said, I cut my 2x2 tubing with the abrasive chop saw. The cold cut will do it, but I think itā€™s at the threshold of what they recommend. Plus I like to keep the blade fresh to use with my smaller thin walled tubing where there is less room for error when fitting and welding.

1 Like

1 Like

Cool. Thanks. Do you have links to both of those? There have to be a BILLION products called EZ-Cut!

all I did was type portaband in good old Googleā€¦and those came up on the imagesā€¦

here is one link

https://portabandpro.com/

Edit: even Pinterest has home designs if you type in portaband

real basicā€¦

LOL, this woodworker never heard of the term ā€˜portabandā€™ā€¦ :flushed:

Nice. I have a small 6" abrasive disc chop saw from HF and their portable bandsaw with Lenox blades. I got a table setup like yours from SWAG Offroad. Was considering the Revolution saws but saw very mixed reviews online.

I like the chop saw setup from Portaband but they donā€™t list my saw. Iā€™ll have to look to see whether Dewalt or Milwaukeeā€™s saw is similar enough that I could mod the stand to fit.

Nice find.

I have 2 portabandā€™s set up in the shop

Jim & @toolboy, I like Milwaukee and Dewalt tools, but given my meager needs, Iā€™m wondering if the Horizontal bandsaw from HF (https://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html) will be sufficient. If itā€™s total crap then the answer is obvious, butā€¦
if itā€™s reasonably useful with good blades on it, itā€™s probably good enough for my needs.

Any thoughts?

I bought the GF Bauer one (I think they have/had another alternative but the reviews on the Bauer were better). Thereā€™s not a ton of stuff on mods to it on YT which is generally a good sign as it means itā€™s not rough out of the box - I check whenever I get anything from HF to see what hacks & mods are out there because they often make a big difference in usability of one of their tools.

In addition to the SWAG table I also got a foot pedal so I can start & stop it easier than using the handle switch when itā€™s mounted.

I also got a new miter fence although I havenā€™t really noticed any issue with the stock one. The saw came in a nice blow-molded plastic case that I donā€™t use because itā€™s mostly mounted on the table.

Definitely go with good blades. I went with Lenox metal cutting blades because I was sceptical of the stuff I saw at HF. It tracks well and doesnā€™t waver.

Hereā€™s the model info.

hahahaā€¦of course I have thoughtsā€¦but he meds the doctor gave me are helping with the voicesā€¦

I do not know much about HFā€¦but what I do know is it is you get what you pay forā€¦it all depends on what you do with itā€¦
you guys are lucky with HFā€¦the store we have similar has thisā€¦half the size and double the cost

https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-1-2-in-band-saw/product/PA0008354789

1 Like

This it true on the cheap end of things, but paying more these days doesnā€™t guarantee youā€™ll get more.
That said, if I was getting a portable bandsaw then Iā€™d definitely get a brand I know. However, the horizontal saw seems to have what I need for less that the cost of a name brand portable so I think Iā€™ll try that route. I can just keep it in my loft for the occasional cut and drop it down to the yard in front of the shop if Iā€™m going to be doing some serious cutting.
Thanks for everyoneā€™s help!

@jamesdhatch, good tip to search for mods. Yes, Iā€™ve done that sometimes, but doing as a rule is a good idea. Iā€™ll go with the Lenox blades on your recommendation. From what Iā€™ve read, to cut square tube, I probably want 14TPI? And also do blade break in?

1 Like