Break-in program - cut location outside of table area - throws code

Hi all, just getting started on running the pro. I loaded the program into firecontrol, but I immediately got an error that the jogging is limited. It appears the gcode is having it move outside of my table limits. I’m sure there’s an easy answer here, but would appreciate advice. Here’s a pic for reference.

thanks,
J

This break in program pre-dates the limit switch kit. You will need to jog to the bottom left corner of the table and set the work zero there in order to run the break in program. Having the limit switches installed sets the machine zero at the top left corner where your limit switches are located.

Alternatively, you could set the program origin in the upper left corner by clicking on set program origin in fire control and clicking on the green box in the upper left corner.

3 Likes

Whenever you load a g-code file (drawing, test sample, whatever), you want to pick what will be ‘your’ program origin. When you click on “Set Program Origin” your image will have 5 points, in green, superimposed on it (upper right and left, lower right and left and center). You can pick whatever you like but be consistent with where that point will be on the actual table. If you pick lower left, then move the torch to the lower left corner of the table, then you will set “zero all work axes” at that location.

Everything should be satisfied at this point.

The limit switches will now behave unless you have the soft limits set wrong. While you are setting up the table and getting used to everything, I would recommend turning off the “soft limits” for now. They give you way too many warnings.

Another issue you may be having is that once a limit alarm is triggered, sometimes the best way is to clear the alarm and then “Home” the machine. Otherwise, FireControl acts as if it is unable to move.

Once you have “homed” then you can move the torch wherever you want as long as it does not trigger one of the limit switches or the soft limits. Once again, I urge you to consider turning off the soft limits for now.

4 Likes

Thank you for walking me through how it works with the screenshots as well! Thank you both. I was able to get the break-in program running. Now I ran into an air issue that I have to fix tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll be able to first fire this week and try out a basic design.

I would appreciate any other ‘beginner’ fire control tips that perhaps you would have liked to know early on?

thanks,
J

3 Likes

I made up a few more slides for you:

6 Likes

@JPOusley

First thing I would do is verify your actual cut height. @ChelanJim has a code that @Phillipw provided that runs the IHS sequence and stops. You can then slip a feeler gauge in to verify the actual cut height. I recommend doing this for each material thickness you cut so you can verify your actual cut height.

Make sure before you start the cut program set, (or verify jog mode is set) to continuous and 300 ipm and have a plan of where to jog the torch to after the cut is complete to minimize splashing.

Make sure to monitor the machine while you are cutting and be prepared to pause (space bar) the cut if you need to remove a tip up. Try to only pause between cuts so you can restart on a new loop.

Familiarize yourself with the run from loop and run from line functions.

Welcome to the forum and I am excited to see what you create with your new table!

2 Likes

I guess that is my cue. Here is what Erik is referring to:

3 Likes

16ga steel is how I do a quick check on cut height.

2 Likes