Beveled Cuts with Powermax 45

I’m getting a beveled edge on my cuts. I’m cutting 10ga on a Powermax 45XP.

45 Amps at around 95 IPS which is what the book says. I’m using the Finecut tip. How can I adjust for a better cut angle?

Is the bevel on all sides?

I’m getting my 45 XP this week, so doing a lot of research until then.

I came upon this from Hypertherm, maybe it can help:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Double check that your torch is perpendicular to the workpiece. If its off let us know and we’ll send you a procedure on how to dial it in. It’s pretty straightforward.

Thanks. I will check some of the things they mention. I’m using brand new tips so that can’t be the problem. I’ll play with different settings.

Is the bevel on all sides?

1 Like

Let me know if you find out anything, might need the information when I get going with my setup. :smile:

Good luck!

can you send me the procedure to square up torch to work piece. I cant get this thing to cut square at all. im using a miller 625 extreme with hand torch.

Check out this thread: Torch square to table adjustments

Can you send this to me please, I have a slight bevel that I can’t get worked out.

Witch direction is your torch travling in relation to your piece? Clockwise for outside cuts and counter clockwise for inside cuts is the correct direction of travel.

I have a miller 625 also I’m going to get rid of it in favor of either a Powermax 65 or powermax 85 I haven’t decided yet but the miller isn’t very good for a table IMO.

The correct cut height will minimize the bevel with a Hypertherm Powermax plasma. You must use the shield (220948) that is designed for machine cutting with the Finecut consumables. The cut charts in the Powermax45xp operators manual will suggest a cut height of .06" (1/16"), but that assumes that your cnc machine will be able to set a separate pierce height (for 10 gauge the pierce height should be .15"). Pierce height is to ensure the nozzle orifice is not damaged during the pierce from molten steel blowing back on he nozzle. Since the Langmuir system only has a fixed height I then would suggest s compromise of cut height and pierce height…so set the frontmost part of the torch (the shield) at .090" off the surface of the workpiece, this will minimize bevel and ensure that you will get dev=cent life from the nozzle. Piercing too close can damage any plasma torch nozzle on the very first pierce…that is why Hypertherm has pierce height and pierce delay time in their mechanized cut charts. Jim Colt

7 Likes

Can you send me the procedure to square the gantry. I see a bevel top and bottom but not on the left and right of a circle cut.

Nippaero, did you ever find out the reason for the bevel?
I’m having the same issue with my 45XP.
I.e. A concave bevel on all sides.

Thanks,
D