Beck's Armory laser torch holder

Works great. Very happy with the product. My only gripe is I can’t use my silicone shield cup. Good trade-off, though.

Note… The bottom bracket is just snug. This is an important thing to make sure that you do not tighten it.

2 Likes

It is a nice design. Only downside is having to clamp so low on the torch in the “Don’t clamp here!” area.

@Richarddbeck83 - Wonder if your design could include a new Z slide to mount to the carriage and add a third clamp 3" above the top one, drop the top one down a couple inches, then convert the bottom to a through only hole with the lasers mounted.

1 Like

I agree. I tried to raise it up but it won’t work.

If so, tighten up the clearance. The OEM is a very loose fit with a crappy friction clamp.

1 Like

HA! I just noticed you are running a second torch head also.

1 Like

PTM60 for fine stuff.

Just edited my last. Two plasma cutters. 45xp and a 1650G3.

1 Like

Scope mount for your torches?

so this is not a one size fits all V-block style clamp that puts four highly concentrated points of force on the torch. These are round clamps within .000" to .015" of the torch OD so they greatly reduce the deformation when clamping so that you don’t damage our torch. This allows you to clamp low and allow the Lasers to not cast a shadow.

No need to crush the torch. I tell people to gently tighten the lower clamp first just until the torch doesn’t freely rotate. Then clamp the top clamp.

Overall the round clamps allow for much greater grip with less force than a V-clamp. I’ve been running the prototype for close to 3 years with my IPT-80m. :slight_smile: Still works great.

Here is the stress loads of the factory clamp from Langmuir. Notice the green parts. This is what causes the deformation that damages your torch. V-Block clamps try to turn round things into square things. lol This is why I use a round clamp to clamp a round object.

4 Likes

Nice analysis!

1 Like

this is a great thing to post…amazin diagram

1 Like

Yeah. I saw that someone else here had done that, so i opted for that with the machine torches. Lets me grip higher and more height options with the gantry riser plates.

I also did a laser criss hair in a 3d printed 35mm tube that I can swap out with the torch in under a minute using the same scope rings.

2 Likes

How do the lasers do with splash? When mine are low, they get splashed with water then blurry.

Not yet, anyway. I worry more about hot slag hitting them. So far, so good.

That happens to me too, but it’s after they have already been used to align to the workpiece. A dab of a paper towel removes the splash for the next run.

2 Likes

Same here. I just dab them with a paper towel when i want to set up the next part. I’ve run mine like this for 3 years and the water hasn’t caused any issues with their function.

1 Like

I have lasers that are 4" above the torch tip and they still get some splash and smoke…it is going to happen…just wipe them down

1 Like