Bar sink drain dimple die

Just down the street in Round Rock. Not far from Rudy’s BBQ at I-35 if you know where that is…

-TM

Reason I ask is I could grab the die from you and take care of mine quick and then I could send it out.

Just keeping the thread updated - @TortillaMan has shipped the dies and they should get to me around the end of the week according to tracking. I am hoping I can knock this out over the weekend and get them sent back out quickly.

Current list after me:

@Downsra
@MnEnterprise
@stahlee

1 Like

Quick question, what size drain are the dies for? The 2 bar sink drains i have has a shank diameter of 1.82" and a flare on topside of 2.80".

So I think those are about the right sizes for a normal 1-7/8 in. - 2-1/2 in. drain - But forewarning, I am not a plumber nor a mathematician, just another idiot on the internet so I could be wrong.

I also am not near my drains to measure them exactly, but the dimensions you posted are roughly close to what the decimal conversions of those sizes are. ish. Bit of slop, but thats expected I think.

Anyway, OP used these drains: Bar sink drain dimple die - #6 by nortonscustoms

Couple others used an option with a deeper basket: Bar sink drain dimple die - #39 by 72Pony

I found an option from Home Depot that has the same size/specs and will be giving these a shot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plumber-s-Choice-1-7-8-in-2-1-2-in-Bar-Prep-Sink-Junior-Duo-Stainless-Steel-Drain-Assembly-with-Deep-Strainer-Basket-Stopper-ESS2557/303759510

1 Like

Turned a simple drill center guide out of aluminum to drill out the stock drain hole. Made things easier and faster since my table was already installed in its place.

6 Likes

Dies showed up today - Man these things are slick and produce a really nice dimple - Got both holes done in a couple of hours. Most of that time was doing test pieces since I had to change hole saw size from what I planned on using to what I actually ended up using for the drains I choose.

I also did something similar to @mnicolia and drilled through the old drain plug as a guide for the hole saw. I did end up pre-drilling the hole in the plug on the drill press outside of the drain just to try and get it as straight up and down as I could before putting the drain assembly in the pan. Then just drilled straight down, worked perfectly. Then just a quick light clean up with a small sanding/flap wheel and deburring tool then center the die and a few uga dugas later I was done.

I mentioned I was going to try the stainless drains from Home Depot (linked above) - Before I drilled the actual table I did several test holes on a scrap piece to make sure I got the size right. These drains seem to have a more gradual radius on the flange so with a 2" hole they wanted to sit proud of the dimple. Stepping up to the 2 1/8" hole saw corrects this, but the dimple die will not self-center itself since there is so much play with the larger hole. After a couple of test holes, I was able to figure out how to line up the top die so it was mostly centered and then use a sharpie to draw a circle around the outside of the die. Then I could see if it shifted at all when I was tightening up the bolt. Not a perfect solution but I got pretty solid results and the drains do seat well.

With that said, I still would not recommend the HD drains - of the two I got, both were from the same mfg, but the threads on the stem of the drain stopped at different places. One of them I could tighten all the way to the flange, while the other had almost 1/4" of space between the flange and the end of the threads. The fully threaded drain is able to be tightened down but the other one cannot, the nut will not get tight enough without a spacer of some sort. Not a big deal, and easily fixed, but annoying nonetheless.

I’m a horrible slacker on pictures so my apologies there, ill get a few once I get the pans together - I think I am going to take a few others’ advice a just TIG these together now to avoid any leaks.

@TortillaMan Loved the box modifications - My wife was very confused when she pulled the box out of the mailbox with the picture. I thought it was great, hahaha

@Downsra That insert is a great idea. I got these boxed back up, I’ll have them on their way to you on Monday!

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, hopefully it’s useful to someone.

3 Likes

UPDATE: The dies are on their way to me, looking like a recieve date of 10/6. Hopefully all goes well and i can use them and get them back out in circulation on the 7th, 8th at the latest. @MnEnterprise you’re next, just PM me your address when you get the chance.

2 Likes

Hi nortonscustoms

how can I get in line for the dimple die?..as you know table as it comes is a mess…

tnx
Mike P

Check out Comment #74 in this thread… I laid-out the process (there isn’t much to it)

Basically, you just open up the existing hole in the pans to 2" (or slightly less if you are neurotic about precision)… sandwich the dies in the new hole and use the supplied draw-bolt to squeeze the dies together with a torque wrench or impact gun.

Add a couple of stainless bar drains and you’re done.

-TM

1 Like

@MnEnterprise I sent you my address.

Where are the dies now?

Only 1% of people can find the dies in this hiding in this picture…

7 Likes

LOL @TinWhisperer

-TM

1 Like

Love it! :slight_smile:

First time in my life I have been part of the 1% :rofl:

…and I have actually held the dies!

3 Likes

Seriously though, I’m after @MnEnterprise. Did he receive the dies? I sent him my address but haven’t heard anything.

Downsra just shipped them, once i get them i will try to turn them and ship to you as next on the list

Thanks @MnEnterprise! I was getting concerned that the dies might have gone missing. Thread became quiet.

@stahlee I’d like to get these next please.