Assembly of the base?

Hi ,

My question is, i have a strong interest in this mill and want to know , does the steel plate base and legs need to be be assembled ? This would help me easily to add the machine to my small shop.

Best
Mark

1 Like

As far a we know it has to be assembled. 7 -#50 bags of concrete need to be added inside once you get the base put together. They have a two part epoxy to float a smooth layer on top. I believe thats an option?

Hi,
Thanks for the information, Actually 2 more questions. One , do you know how much the base itself weight ? maybe 100 lbs.

Second question, how are to legs actually connected? bolts or special screws ? Thank you in advance.

Best
Mark

That much detail has not been released yet as far as know. Here is a link to the most detailed base information I could find:
https://www.langmuirsystems.com/mr1/base

2 Likes

are you thinking of putting it on a tool box or something? As this is kinda want i want to do as my shop is also small

Hi ,

My shop is actually in my basement, thus the ability the completely assemble the machine from bottom up is totally ideal. I just did some measurements and I have the space, just need to get my electrical guy down to extend my 220 v single to the machine area which is about 20 feet from my mail electric box.

I currently have a bench Taig mill, but it’s to small and can’t really cut metals like stainless.

2 Likes

I’m almost certain the base will come in pieces that can be assembled. That is how all the other plasma tables are built and it it simplifies shipping (and cost). :+1:

I was wondering if there are locator pin or holes for aligning the rails and the base plate?

1 Like

You have to email Langmuir. No one has one yet to answer your questions. Although I would think so?
By the way welcome to the forum. Lets try to put all the MR1 question in the mill category.

1 Like

The baseplate doesn’t actually have or need precise alignment to the XYZ coordinate system of the machine, except that the surface must be parallel to the XY plane. Thats accomplished by decking off the baseplate after assembly. Note: the baseplates are coarsely located to the Y axis rails by the baseplate positioners which can be seen in this picture:

The Y axis rails are made parallel and coplanar during assembly, so there are no dowel features to locate them.

1 Like

For the Langmuir guys. Have you considered doing a .75 inch on center spacing for the 1/4-20 holes so that SMW vices would be able to mount directly to the base plate? Or too close to being like an SMW product/IP?

I figure I can likely jist make new vice bottom plates to work with the SMW top half of a mod vice but .75in on center spacing gives a bit more flexibility than 2in on center.