Air Compressor sizes and air filters/water separators

Just wondering what sizes of compressors are you guys using and your air filter/water separators have you guys been having success with?

I have a 33 gallon air compressor and was hoping that would be large enough to start out with but still need to purchase a air filter/water separators and don’t know what is a good product for specifically plasma cutting. I will be using the Vipercut 30 and eventually will probably purchase a Hypertherm 45.

Its more the output of your compressor vs size. A smaller compressor is going to run more and limit you to shorter cuts (there seems to be many users using a 30 gallon compressor with no issues), but you need to pay attention to the CFM’s…

The Vipercut 30 requires 6 cfms at 55-75 PSI.

The Hyperterm 45 requires 6 cfms at 90 PSI.

You’ll want to make sure that whichever cutter you go with your compressor can, at a minimum, meet those specs.

My set up a 60 gallon Husky compressor, Hypertherm 45 and multiple drop lines and filters for moisture control. I started with the Razorweld 45. I used it once and switched the the Hypertherm. If you plan on eventually going that route just buy the Hypertherm and be done with it, you wont regret it.

That makes sense, but what about the filter or water separators? I’m sure I would want an extra one instead of just the smaller ones that they have in the plasma cutters.

I plumbed an external dryer just in front of the intake on the plasma. This is the one. It uses replaceable and rechargeable dehumidifying media. (Pop it in a low oven to dry it out.)

Amazon: 3/8" in LINE Desiccant AIR Dryer Compressed AIR Great Pneumatic Tools Spray Booth Plasma Cutter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BR6W6D4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wF6lCb68RSTQZ

I run a Motorguard M26 filter right before the Plasma. The M26 and M60 is a filter made for Plasma cutting systems and works great. I am running a Eastwood QST-30/60 Scroll compressor with a air cooler of over 50’ with 3 drip legs then a water/separator/filter then copper lines around the shop with a 12" drip leg at every connection point and then the M26 right before the hose to the Plasma and I have zero moisture issues. Not a cheap setup but a trouble free system for Plasma and a Blast cabinet and powder coating.

http://motorguard.com/air_2_6.html

3 Likes

I have what looks just like jamesdhatch has except i also have 2 more with filters and water separaters with drains that are all hooked together in one nice mountable peice. was like 105 bucks on ebay i think. And the one on the plasma cutter also. I leave the drain on compressor seep all the time. Damp and and cold here and no issues yet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-COMPRESSED-AIR-INLINE-FILTER-DESICCANT-DRYER-3-STAGE-GOOD-FOR-PLASMA-CUTTER/252172639505?hash=item3ab6a91d11

1 Like

Using a .5 micron filter going into a Ingersoll Rand air dryer.
Then a motor guard filter at the Hypertherm 45xp
Well worth the money in the long run
Northern Tool had an offer of a $110 E-Gift card plus I used coupons from my membership.
This helped lower the price

What’s the difference between a M26 and M60?

Just the max flow, the m26 has 1/4”npt fitting where the m60 has 1/2”npt fittings. The m26 is more than enough.

1 Like

I’ve found (the hard way) that it’s much better to dry the air all you can BEFORE it is stored in the tank. I live by the beach, and humidity was often a problem. Without an inline dryer my paint guns would always sputter and the plasma cutter had issues. My compressor before modifying would get LOTS of water into the tank which isnt good for either the tank or your tools, and a separator after the regulator didn’t stop moisture in the lines. I drained a much higher volume of water from the tank than from the separator.

What fixed it was to mount a four pass oil cooler after the compressor but before the tank. The lower line of the cooler goes to the inlet of a filter/separator which captures the water before the air goes into the tank. I now get next to zero water from the tank drain, but have to keep up with the filter drain. :slight_smile:
Behind the cooler is a pair of large flat 120V “muffin” fans which run when the compressor is on.
I still keep the Motorguard M26 filter at the plasma cutter, but now the elements seem to last forever.

I use the harbor freight 29 gallon belt drive with a hypertherm 45xp. No issues.

I also use the harbor freight air dryer and cannot recommend it enough for the price. ($460 after shipping)

It is a bit of a hit to purchase on top of everything but it works flawlessly i never have moistures in my line since buying it.

1 Like

Nothing but dry air, and plenty of it.

1 Like

I have the opportunity to get a 140 gallon tank for free(was a propane tank in its earlier life). I presently have a 30 gallon air compressor/tank combo. I thought it might make sense to get another air compressor pump for the 140 gallon tank from Harbor Freight. Is 140 gallons overkill? If it wasn’t free I would not consider getting more than a 60 gallon air compressor/tank combo for the Crossfire Pro I will be getting in April. I can get a 5 hp air compressor pump from Harbor freight for $132 after 20% discount. Seems like it is worth it. The pump I’m considering has user reviews that say they fill two 60 gallon tanks without strain. Pump specifications say that it delivers 17.3 CFM @ 40 PSI and 15.2 CPM @ 90 PSI. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

I would be weary of that pump from HF, if it is not a 2 stage compressor then it most likely not made to build pressure much past 90 lbs. My plasma cutter cuts best at 85 lbs, there is not enough room there for comfort. 140 lb would serve you better, that tank is ideal though with the right compressor. Let’s face it, you spent alot of money on that crossfire pro, I would use the compressor you have now untill you can get a 5hp, 2 stage, compressor pump that will last you many years. just my 2 cents

1 Like

How is the Eastwood QST-30/60 Scroll Compressor holding up for the duration of your cuts?