Air Compressor Question

Had mine for 5 years and zero issues, same model bought it from NT.

1 Like

How loud is the kobalt 60 gal and the Quincy qt-54?

My dual kobalt 26gal is doing well after I added the check valve to supply the tank of one from the regulated output of the other.

Can you give us some detail and pictures on what you did with the check valves? I have a 30 gallon Kobalt and thought I might need another 30 gallon air compressor but was concerned about keeping them working together and not fighting each other.

What I did is very simple.

C2 regulated output → check valve → C1 tank
C1 regulated output → tool

In the pic, C2 is on right. I make it put out 130 psi. With good load, both tanks come down below 120 together and both motors run. C1 kicks in at 120 and C2 at 116 (I didn’t mess with it) so sometimes C1 runs alone when it can supply the CFM. I sometimes turn off C1 so C2 can take turn. Works very well for me.

4 Likes

Havent been able to hook mine up yet, so will take the word of others. Cant be much worse than my HF 21gal.

I just got some foam acoustic panels to try out. Having my comp in the corner with the loft above it seems to amplify…

1 Like

I’m still pending a few items to get it up and running - I broke the drain valve 90 bend on the bottom of the tank when getting it off pallet. Waiting on part. Will try and test with a db meter when I get it setup right. I have run it when on pallet, and it was quieter than my 33 gal Craftsman that’s almost 15 yrs old.

1 Like

Brand new here, and needed to buy a compressor for the CF PRO that I ordered. I found advmaker’s “double Kobalt” set up intriguing for quietness and lower inrush current pulses.

25 years ago I was an engineer working with a multi-hundred hp bank of compressors that fed a single large receiver, so I feel like multiple parallel pumps is a legit way to approach this total flow issue. Advmaker’s connection schematic isn’t quite how I would do it (because I would shunt the two tanks directly to each other and use only one regulated output), but he’s got it working for him, and that’s what matters. Also, I am thankful to him for the inspiration for seeking a multi-pump set up.

At any rate, as I was searching around the web looking at various pumps, I ran across this and have ordered it:
VEVO 4hp double head

This appears to be two of the QUIET TECH heads on a single horizontal 18.5 gallon tank. Potentially, this is functionally the same as advmaker’s set up, but in an even smaller format. Small enough, in fact, that I expect it to live under a bench, so I save that floor space.

This VEVO unit appears to be functionally similar to the California Air Tools 20040DCAD but for less than a third of the price. (stare at the pictures of both, and you’ll see that the pump castings are the same) Sure, the VEVO unit doesn’t have the cool air dryers of the CAT unit, but that stuff can be separately sourced for less than the difference.

So, like I said, I have gone ahead and ordered this unit, and will report back if there’s any interest.

If this fails, I will fall back to the tried and true 5ph, 2-stage, 60 gal format, but I don’t want to overshoot the mark by that much if it can be avoided. Also, my neighbors will hate my hobbies less from the noise!

Interesting, but looks to me like it falls short in CFM (5.8) by my calculation.

For better or worse with regard to my risk in buying the VEVO, I looked at the posted flow rate on the Lowes site for the 26-gallon QUIET TECH compressor, which shows 4.5 CFM at 90psi, and doubled that (for the two heads) for an expected 9 at 90…

Also, I went looking through the California Air Tools listing on Amazon and found the following flow numbers in an answered question: 12.8 CFM @ 40 PSI and 10.60 CF @ 90 PSI

Since the Razor Cut 45 is looking for 6.7 at 75psig, it felt like I had sufficient margin with the VEVO.

Obviously, both of these stated flow rates are for other products, however, upon careful scrutiny of the photos posted of all three products mentioned here, the pumps appear to be identical, except perhaps for the air grilles.

But hey, we’ll find out when I get all of this stuff in one place and connected together.

I was looking at the line that said:
“Exhaust Volume: 165 L/min”

Yep, but not specified at a delivery pressure. If it’s against the pressure ceiling of the pump (apparently 115psig), it’s typically less flow than at a lower pressure, like the 75psig the cutter needs.

Under load I don’t care if the tank sags down to where both pumps are chasing the demand as long it’s delivering the 75psig right at the cutter. I plan to plumb it with a bigger pipe size over to the plasma cutter and regulate right before a whip to the cutter. This pump will will be dedicated to just this tool.

Also, if this thing is really burning through 2X 1.8hp, 5.8 CFM at ~100psig is some pretty inefficient pumping compared to average product, and other folks are claiming these heads can do more.

And so I’ve taken my chance on it. Maybe I’m wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

1 Like

I remember being very focused on the noise level of my compressor, but I moved past it and got a more powerful compressor for less money.

I also realize now, the sound of the cutting running and hitting the water is louder than the compressor. So all the effort of trying to find a quieter compressor is going to be wasted, since the cutting process is louder anyway and there is no way to quiet it.

I can close my garage and stand on the sidewalk and I hear the arc and air hitting the water of the noise of the compressor easily.

4 Likes

Although my dual kobalt worked pretty well, I eventually decided to use less space. I sold both of them and got a quincy 3.5hp 60gal which I found surprisingly quiet. The quincy takes a little bit more space than one kobalt 1.8hp.

I am still trying to sell the extra tank. I should have just done this setup long ago instead of wasting time on 110v solutions. The 2 kobalt 1.8hp plus extra air tank cost me 260+260+200 = $740, plus time and space. The quincy was $700 plus I paid an electrician to run a 220v line for $200.

I decided to not chase cheaper (by small margin) solutions any more.

2 Likes

I was more than paranoid I would end up with something less than adequate after reading hours worth of horror story reviews online about the Lowe’sDepot units. In the end I bought a compressor from my local Napa Auto Parts store. 5hp 2 stage, 60 gallon. I believe it’s made by Copco or Belaire but it has a Baldor motor made in USA and the pump is made in Italy. I did a 3/4" copper manifold with 3 drops then a DIY desiccant filter with a filter/dryer and I have no water. All the lines are 3/4" copper all the way to the drops with Milton high flow fittings and 3/8" hoses, just in my garage so the cost difference was not much.

The compressor doesn’t even come on with a small project and easily catches up when it does come on. Very satisfied.

1 Like

My Compressor is far from my Plasma cutter (50’ or so). I have an old 26 Gallon tank off an older compressor (pump died) I have it plumbed in closer to the cutter (10’) just after my cooler but before the drier. Seems to help keep the pressure from dropping too much just before the Compressor kicks on. I also just installed a 80 gallon compressor so it might be over kill now. But It’s a good use for an old tank, and it’s another place for the water to get out of the air before my drier!

Hi Avgmaker - Have you run into any issues with the Quincy? That’s one f the compressors that I’m looking at. The concern that I have is that the duty cycle is only 50%. I’m concerned that on bigger projects, I may run out of air. Is that a valid concern based on your experience?

Just out of couriosity, which torch are you usning.

Thanks!

The VEVO double head project has worked out great. It easily keeps ahead of the Razorweld 45.

It was not a quick or minor build, though. As received it wasn’t even safe to use as it was wired for 110V and pulled 30A of it! I may actually be the only person who gets to buy this thing, though, the reseller called me later was kind of relieved that I bought it for parts. The amazon listing has shown “unavailable” since I got mine. BTW the “one star” rating on that listing isn’t me.

I started by tearing the whole assembly down and welding more brackets to the tank to support my planned upgrades.

Electrically, I separated the two pumps onto either half of the phase of 220V, changed the control to the digital pressure gauge that runs a motor contactor relay.

I run the digital control to kick on the pumps at 95psig and off at 100psig so there’s only 5psi peak to peak ripple. There’s a three stage water separator group and no output regulator, I just slam that 3’ long 1/2" hose right down to the input. By controlling the pumping side so close I skip the “tank reg” step.

Would it have been easier to just get a 5hp 60gal vertical like nearly everyone else? Yes. Probably cheaper, too, if I account for the ~20 hours spent hacking on this thing.

I’m completely happy with where it is now, though.

2 Likes

Cletus has got to see this…he will flip!!!
that is freaking amazing!

1 Like

I agree. It certainly beats ANYTHING @Cletus has! :stuck_out_tongue: