Advice on sketch or tool to repeat pattern

Couple of questions or ideas. I saw this on the web:

I made this:

Couple of questions…

Is there an easy way to mirror or repeat that type of shark tooth pattern around a boarder? or even if you just did a repeating wave pattern. If manual line drawing is it then totally cool with that but wondering if a tool or that mirror function maybe?

Also… Just watched Don P make a video on basically doing open chain. I’m guessing I’d need to do open chain on those individual lines to make a tab bend properly? However it does seem like in the drawing they just did open chain rectangle and just bent it up for the bottle top.

Thanks for any advice.

The Circular pattern tool in the sketch work space or revolve command in the design workspace is what you are looking for.

Or there is a third way that works well too I could make a quick video on .

1 Like

So cool! thanks.

I am going have a break in about 10 minutes and i 'll setup a live stream

4 Likes

Ahhh, Tin. You put a timer on yourself! :rofl: Five minutes to go! :stopwatch:

This is awesome. learning so much! thank you

1 Like

Watching this seems like wizard science. Learned a lot and will probably watch 10 times to start absorbing all the functionality you used in this short clip!

3 Likes

open247.f3d (1.6 MB)

Here is the file from the video

Good luck, post a picture of your results

I know this is about an entirely different thing with your sketch (unrelated to what you asked):

You could borrow the drawing on FireShare and make and opening like “Shopping cart key(quarter) and bottle opener” by David Saul. Just use the open space in your drawing and use the actual bottle opening area. You would have extra space to give the customer instructions like “Opener.”

Mount the sign with a spacing sufficient for the bottle cap to be engaged.

2 Likes

Awesome ideas! I love this forum.

2 Likes

That’s a better opener since you’re tipping the bottle upright to open. The other one you’re lifting up the bottom of the bottle to open.

2 Likes

Really wanted to reiterate how much I appreciate the video and also seeing some of the sheet metal functionality which I hadn’t even seen used. This was a great tutorial and the fact you posted the work is amazing. Thank you very much.

3 Likes

If you are saying I put the opening in the right direction, that was purely by accident. :smile:

1 Like

After having made a few small bottle openers, I’d advise minimum of 16 gauge. 14 gauge would be ideal for strength but may require a beveled edge to be added.

2 Likes

that works out as I just put a full sheet of 14ga on the table :slight_smile: I’ll look at grinding down the edge some to catch the tab. Many thanks!

1 Like

I keep trying to change the bottle opener, for some reason. This might be frowned on from this crowd but perhaps take the best of each materials for your sign (sheet metal and cast metal). Pop rivet one of these on your sign:

2 Likes

Classic! Yes. You could even tab in a catch bin for the bottle caps. :thinking:

1 Like

I like it!

Well if anyone is in the Longmont Colorado area swing by to try this out when I get it done! Cold one on me.

Don’t most bottle openers work by pulling the bottom up just like the one in cast metal that @ChelanJim linked?

Historically I used to bic lighter or the edge of something with a smack to open a cap.

1 Like