Adventures in metal cutting

Thanks! and also thanks to all the folks on here that have helped me get started and made comments! This forum is a good place to pick up info. LS did well setting this up for customers. My posts hopefully can help some as well…or at least that’s my intent when I’m not goofing off. Off to cook burgers and brats! Cheers!

1 Like

And you see we’re looking out for you, right, George? I mean, no one ‘really’ called it a ‘ground’. Not seriously anyway… :grimacing:

2 Likes

I didn’t say anything—this time. You know it drives me :crazy_face:

1 Like

Don’t be silly! You have a very valid perspective!

And those of us who survive, well, we do appreciate it. Um, yeah, you know. Uh… yeah, right.

Spent some more time in F360 today and watched a few Lars YT videos. After I watch those, I’m like wow I could build a skyscraper. Then I start clicking on stuff and my skyscraper turns into a can opener :dizzy_face:. The learning curve (and necessary creativity) is steep. I did make (or more accurately copy) this table, though from one of the videos. I think I’ll design the bottom shelf for the Crossfire Pro from this to practice. Maybe design some brackets and cut on plasma. That’s next project…when I get some time to play. It just keeps getting cooler and cooler. Might have to look into 3d printer as well…my son’s been bringing home parts he’s printed in HS…I remember machine shop classes from HS and I’ve missed it being in the corporate world all my career. I like getting back into this stuff. Cheers!

1 Like

Noting this thread for reference (it’s a Miller 375) talking about postflow.

Adding this thread for reference (Hobart - which is owned by Miller)

Interesting post (again Hobart)

Here is another option that will allow you to have pause at the end of each cut, it will actually wait on you to hit cycle start.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that. It’s interesting - the butterfly I posted above has 128 M3 commands (pierces) at 0.2 seconds each. When I created that g-code (4,110 lines), it was before I was putting in pauses at end of cut. It ran fine - so the machine definitely does interrupt it’s cooling cycle if a new fire command is issued as you’d expect. I ran that at around 25 ish amps with 30amp tip, so I wasn’t pushing the machine very hard. When I went to 1/4" plate (40amp), the delay issue really started getting to be a problem.

There is some variable timing until it lights the arc. I may try to get some info from Miller on this. I need more data, but I look longingly at the two “Arc Ok” wires dangling loose with no place to go!

1 Like

Just as general information - here’s the regulators I bought for my Quincy QT54 60 gallon compressor.

1/2" regulator at tank:

1/4" regulator at table:

Total $72 for both. I think I might go to an auto drain model in future, but these seem to do ok for now.

Shelf coming together…working on the brackets

2x 58.5" x 2x2x14ga Sq tube
3x 25" 2x2x14ga Sq tube

192" total = 16’ - one 20’ stick will do it. Can cut it in to 10’ lengths at yard to fit in truck to transport. Both long pieces (117") fit in a 10’ stick with 3" to spare.

3 Likes

Probably making this overly complex, but learning how to do some F360 stuff. This is an 11ga sheet metal part that I’ll plan on plasma cutting using the flat pattern and then bending. I have some scrap 11ga that I got free a while back.

2 Likes

Looks good, do you have enough clearance for you driver head? SO you just draw in 3d, extrude surfaces and tell it to “unfold it”?

and you forgot a hole :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Exactly - there’s a whole part of F360 that’s about creating sheet metal parts. They can be thick pieces like .25" if you want - it can be but doesn’t have to be ‘sheet metal’ like thin 26ga per se…it calculates the bend radii (or K factor) based on the material thickness and you create a ‘flat pattern’ from the 3d which is the unfolded piece of 2d metal to cut. Take that to manufacturing module and generate the g-code off the flat pattern. It’s pretty cool stuff - but I’m a noob…still lots to learn.

A neat feature is you can import the screws from McMaster Carr and they become part of the materials list.

Holes - yep - I redid them after the screen shot so I could plasma cut them.:upside_down_face:

I could use some angle iron for this, but that wouldn’t be any fun!!!

Edit: here’s the g-code for the bracket (with holes) if anyone wants it.
<See V3 below!!!>

3 Likes

That’s a rough bend, my brake doesn’t have an edge I could hang one bend off of. Fusion 360 is crazy addictive if you spend the time to learn and have a computer that can keep up, you can create anything in that program. I waste too much time making things to print on my kids 3D printer when I should be making things to cut and sell off the CNC table lol.

2 Likes

Yes - the compound bends make this tricky. These have a cut on the bend line to make it easier that can be welded up after - i’ll probably do two top ones in brake and last one in vice with adjustable wrench and hammer.

Yep! I’ve been itching for the 3d print stuff for a while…It’s just a matter of time before I’ve convinced myself that I’ve got to have one. lol!

I’ve got a press brake with a set of gooseneck fingers that would make short work of those bends.

3 Likes

Bracket V2…wraps 2 sides of rail…

cfp%20shelf%20bracket-v2-1

cfp%20shelf%20bracket-v2-3

<V3 g-code below!!!>

lol…when I get to building this, I’ll probably have my welder out and just weld it…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok time to stop…waaaayyy to much time on this…

Finished edges, made it a little bigger…screws not included…lol

NOTE: this view is from underneath, not top down.

LS Crossfire Pro Shelf Bracket v3.nc (4.3 KB)

Here’s the DFX if you want to play around in Sheetcam/Fusion…
CF Pro Shelf Bracket V3.dxf (5.3 KB)

Edit: This part is available on Fileshare as well for anyone interested.

I won’t be at table for a few days to mess with this, but would be cool if someone cut this and shared a pic! Have a good one!

1 Like