3d printing a drain

Does anyone see a problem with 3d printing larger drains than the stock? I’m not sure how well it would work.

I did on mine, sealed them with and in the epoxy, printed with Cf petg.

5 Likes

Awesome!!!

I printed a simple drain to match a small strainer basket i had laying around. It drains to 5/8" hose, works fairly well. PETG, didnt coat it or anything like that. You can kind of see it in the back of this pic.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that drain will clog with anything. Very good job.

How do you guy decide where the top of the drain will sit?It seems the top level of the concrete could vary.

I set mine down about a 1/4 inch and leveled it out with the epoxy.

I mesured off the top of the baseplate before the concert was pored and used water when the concret was pond curing to fine tune the height.

With the default orientation of the 3d printed layer lines it would be very easy to trim the drain between two layer lines to fine tune the height of a 3d printed drain.

This is theoretical on my side, I use MQL instead of flood coolant and thus don’t have drains.

1 Like

I just measured the height of my 4 factory drains with a height gauge, averaged it and punched that height into fusion. Typically, every dimension comes out a hair small on my printer, so i didnt try to compensate. I wanted this to be a little lower to be the “primary” drain. Worked well. Big chips will still plug up the strainer basket (its only 2") but i can blow them out with my long air gun while its cutting.

2 Likes